C8 Migration - Fallen at first hurdle. No evidence cloud backup is successful

Migration does not appear to be as straight forward as the video and posts indicate (at least not for me). I click the 'create backup for migration' and the screen just freezes along with the progress circle (not spinning). After 30 seconds or more the page reloads however there's no evidence that the backup happened. The only backups in the list are local even after a refresh.

I certainly don't want to power down the old hub, change the address reservation in my router only to find there's no available cloud backup to restore to the C8

I did my migrations prior to the "backup for migration" option being available so my experience was a bit different. But you should be able to fire up the C8 with a separate IP and register it, validate it sees the backup, etc., prior to migration. It will register with a different IP but it should catch up when you bring it back online post-migration.

FYI network settings like static IP do not migrate. The new hub will come up DHCP-enabled.

1 Like

I need to see proof that there's a cloud backup happened as there's no chance I'm going to risk it otherwise. If it's successful it should appear on screen to confirm it. I have to have the migration work that way as I've 50 odd Z Wave devices that I'm not prepared to exclude/include.

1 Like

I just made a backup for migration on a c7. It does show up on my list of cloud backups but I have hub protection enabled on this hub so it shows lots of cloud backups.

Let me fire up a C8 and see what it says.

Yeah I'm looking in that list. I don't have hub protect but the only backups in that list are local.

1 Like

I'm guessing that's why it doesn't show up. Gimme a few and I'll see what it looks like on an unmigrated C8.

Not every system is perfect, and backups may fail to be generated when the radios and/or the hub's database are not in good shape. If you'd like us to check out if your backup fails, please send me a private message and we would be more than happy to take a look at your hub's engineering logs.

You don't have to have Hub Protect. Every hub is eligible by default to create a cloud backup for purposes of migrating to a C-8. Just make sure your hub is running the latest update.

Right I think the issue is does the freshly created cloud backup for migration show up in the available list of backups on a C7 without hub protect... He cant see the successful backup but on my C7 it is listed as a cloud backup. I can tell the backup was successful - he's not sure.

1 Like

It is on the latest. Should the backup show in the list after migration? Or do we just assume it happened when the circle stops spinning as shown in the video?

Correct. On Safari it just seems to freeze. On Chrome the circle spins for a few mis then stops as expected. I'd just really like confirmation by the appearance in the list of backups that's on the same page. It seems to me that it should be in the list.

I've clicked 'reload backups' and it still does not indicate a cloud backup took place. Can @support_team confirm for sure whether the 'migration' backup should appear in that list.

The backup should show as soon as it is created it, BUT ONLY on the C-8 hub. In large systems may take a few minutes to complete. It will spin while is processing. If the backup doesn't appear on the list, you may want to click "Reload backups".

I've already tried that and I just see 6 previous local backups.

Please send us a private message with your hub ID.

1 Like

Done

The backup was created successfully. Your C-8 should show it now.

I am having the same issue as johnwill1. I created a backup on my C7 hub and no backup shows available on my new C8.

1 Like

I think the issue may be that my C8 is not on the latest version of the hub firmware. But when I use the diagnostics tool to try to get the latest version it says "Could not fetch latest version information."

Make sure that the hub time is correct in either Diagnostics tool or under Settings - Hub Details. If the time is correct, make sure that networking configuration is working by going to Settings - Network setup - Network test (link at the top) and running a Speed test. If something is misconfigured, the test will fail and provide a reason.

You are correct that there is an issue. I keep getting connection refused on the speed test. But not sure why. My C7 works fine.