C8 hub severe load

I've had my C8 in use for a few months and in the past month or so I've been trying to get to the bottom of a Hub load is severe alert. I originally thought it was my 3rd party hue app and then home assistant device bridge. I have since moved all of my apps to my old C7 hub and am now only using my C8 for the zwave radio with ~30 devices along with the maker API and homekit integration. I am not getting a hub severe load alert on the C7 with all of the apps running on it. I have rebooted the hub and the severe alert goes away but then after some short time it is back and I don't see anything off or swamping the hub in the logs. Is there something I'm missing in the logs that is causing the severe load? What else can I check?

All of my devices and apps worked fine on my C7 before I upgraded to the C8 and nothing really changed on my C8 so I'm really stomped on what is going on.

Likely it is Maker getting beat up. What are you using it for? Also what does it say when you click show alert details?

The alert details takes me here:

I am using maker to expose all my zwave devices to home assistant but I currently don't have any automation in home assistant (I disabled). When I check the logs I see a call every few minutes. Would that overwhelm the hub?

Regardless I uninstalled maker and then rebooted the hub everything was fine yesterday but today I woke up to the severe hub alert again.

I don't see any devices that are bogging down the hub and now the only apps are the homekit integration and dashboard both showing minimal usage. I am really stumped.

Am I missing something or is there something wrong with my hub and I should submit a warranty claim?

I am speculating a bit here, but it seems like you are having a LOT of events from these sensors. Are they paired with S0? Can you turn down the sensitivity of these sensors to produce less events? Which devices are these?

Please also post your Z-wave details page, that may shed some insight into your issues.

These are zooz motion and multi-sensors. I just turned down the sensitivity to the defaults and will see if that helps.

Below is my zwave page all devices are S0.

All but a couple devices are None. That is different than S0, which is secure pairing. S0 sends 3x the traffic of other security methods, and it is highly recommended to not use it unless it is a door lock or other barrier device like a garage door opener. S0 is damaging to the mesh when used with power reporting devices, and especially so if power reporting is set to very low levels and/or lots of different reporting. You may want to show your 0x12 and 0x20 device settings for power reporting in a screenshot.

That said, you appear to have at least a couple ghosts. 0x0E, 0x18, 0x21, 0x22. Are these devices functional? Typically devices without routes are ghost nodes.

Which generation are these (approximately how old?) The first gen of these sensors have been known to cause issues. The newer 700 series are better in that regard.

To expand on this, the ZSE40 (Zoo 4-in-1) with the 700 series chip will either be firmware 32.32 or 1.10, basically the same thing. This device will pair with None or S2, either is fine. It will only send motion alerts to the hub when motion is first detected and when motion is no longer detected. Alerts are not sent during continuous motion.

The ZSE40 with a 500 series chip had a few different hardware/firmware versions. I am only familiar with the more recent 2.0 hardware (32.x up to 32.12 firmware) series. This will want to always pair with S0 due to SiLabs SDK rules (it can be forced to None, discussed on here elsewhere). This device will by default send motion alerts every 8 seconds during active motion. It also has a default to send two different types of alerts for max hub compatibility. There is an option to only send one type of report and also the latest firmware 32.12 removed the every 8 second alerts which both of those greatly helps them to function just fine on the C7+ hubs (I have 3 of them).

Recommend using this driver to expose all the settings: [DRIVER] Zooz Sensors Advanced (ZSE40, ZSE41, ZSE42, ZSE44)

2 Likes

Thank you all SO MUCH! I turned down the sensitivity on my motion sensors to the defaults and repaired the S0 zwave plug with no security yesterday and woke up today with no severe hub alert! I feel kind of stupid not thinking about z-wave overwhelming the hub.

All of my zooz motion and multi-sensors are ZSE11 and ZSE18. I had a TON of issues years ago with the ZSE40 and even upgraded to the 700 versions but replaced them all with the above about a year ago.

Regarding the ghost nodes those are devices I left paired intentionally, I'm moving stuff around and didn't want to have to repair since I upgraded to the C8 almost all of my devices have a direct connection to the hub so wasn't too worried about the ghosts affecting the integrity of my mesh.

Here's the thing. Unplugging devices like that while leaving them in the z-wave table will wreak havoc with your mesh and should be excluded instead.

1 Like

Once they get down to Neighbors: 1, I have not seen any negative impact. At that point no other device knows a route to it, so nothing will send it anything.

Thanks guys I excluded the devices yesterday and added 3 new ring sensors without a problem and no severe alert. I just checked the hub and it back with a severe load but I don't see anything in the logs showing excessive reports from devices. I decreased the power reporting interval on my Aeotec smart switches to 6 hours to see if that does anything. All motion sensors are at the default sensitivity. I guess I'll wait and see if the severe load alert appears tomorrow.

I just can't help but wonder why I'm having this issue. I had a few more z-wave devices on my C7, sensitivity set high on a few sensors, a lot of automations and other custom packages without ever seeing these alerts or noticing slowdowns (other than z-wave issues- devices not receiving commands, slow receiving etc). I don't want to downgrade to my C7 because the external antennas make a world of difference and I don't have any issues with z-wave anymore. The only thing that changed was my Home Assistant Device bridge that I added to bring in 3 mmwave presence sensors but that has been removed for awhile now trying to get to the bottom of this issue.

I think it is unlikely that the zwave is causing the hub load. Unless you are using some user created very poorly written device drivers.

Do you have any Wifi/Lan devices? What brand/models? How are they integrated?

1 Like

All of my zwave devices are using system drivers with the exception of the Inovelli Light Strip LZW45 driver but I just excluded that device and am not using it. In an effort to get to the bottom of this issue for the last few weeks this hub only has ~30 zwave devices. No other devices. The zigbee radio is disabled. No apps or automations with the exception of the homekit app that I have disabled. ALL of my automations are running on my old C7 via hub mesh and I paired those down only to only run the essentials- room lighting for 5 rooms. When I look at the logs I don't see anything that looks off. I also moved the physical location of the hub to make sure it's not too hot and has good ventilation.

In the 4+ years I've had Hubitat hubs (C5, C7, C8) I've never had a simpler setup yet I still got a severe load alert this morning (on a hub with no apps and just ~30 z-wave devices). Never seen the severe load alert before. I keep the platform updates current - usually update within a few weeks after I check the forum for any issues. It feels like there is something wonky with my hub ... I guess if the alert pops up again I will submit a warranty claim and see if support can take a look. My warranty window closes in 2 weeks so I need to get to the bottom of this soon.

Another note the severe load alerts started after I set up the Home Assistant Device bridge for 3 of my ESP mmwave presence sensors. That was one of the first things I removed and uninstalled from the hub but the severe load alerts continued to show up after a few hours or the next day. Then I removed all 3rd party apps then all other devices and then maker... same thing now after z-wave cleanup as suggested above.

I disabled all of my kiosks that use the dashboard to prevent extra requests trying to load a dashboard that doesn't exist and shut off home assistant from talking to Hubitat. I watched network traffic and reviewed hubitat logs I don't see anything that would be bogging down the hub.

Do you still have it setup on the HA side? It may still be pounding data at HE constantly.

Could maybe do a test and change the IP of your hub, unless that would break lots of other things.

1 Like

I disabled the HA integration and was monitoring the web traffic but great idea to change the IP just did that!