C8 Hub - Sengled Zigbee Smart Plugs Unresponsive After Reboot

Hi Mike,

To answer your questions:

1. Strictly just these plugs - 6 total.
  2. Channel is 20, power is 8 (default settings)
  3. Nearest plug is 5 feet away. Farthest is about 40 feet.

I'm using the same version as yourself:

ok, I'll try again on a hub with no other devices on it...

do you have any other zigbee hubs on the same channel? What channel is your wifi on?

Mine

@salieri, Have you by any chance tried rebooting your hub consecutively, without using 'rebuild network' between reboots? You'll want to turn off the rebuild on every reboot option to verify...

If back-to-back reboots get your plug devices to work normally (again, without having used 'rebuild' between reboots) you might be running into a problem which I reported back in April:

After having used 'Rebuild network', upon the next hub reboot, the hub is unable to communicate with any router in its neighbor table for up to 45 minutes to an hour... Or until rebuild network is used yet sgain (however that will guarantee that the next reboot will show the same problem).

I see this effect on my C-8 with GE Zigbee dimmer plugs so I doubt that the type of plug is relevant to the issue.

Only 1 hub. Wifi is auto-selected to channel 3.

Thanks for your insight here. Bizarre, I just did this and now it's working as expected. Thanks again.

1 Like

Yes the 'Rebuild network' function should come with a warning to explain this toxic side effect which bizarrely only manifests itself following a reboot of the hub...

@mike.maxwell, @gopher.ny I don't know if this dropped off your radar; it's easy to reproduce and has been around as long as the'rebuild network' function has.

To repro:

• Make sure 'rebuild on reboot' is turned off.

• Use 'rebuild network' on a running C-8 system. It doesn't seem to matter what type of neighbor repeaters are being used, I've reproduced the issue with GE Zigbee dimmers, Iris V2 plugs, and now it has been reproduced using Sengled plugs.

• reboot the C-8

• The neighbor routers of the C8 will all show outCost=0 and won't be controllable by the hub.

• at this point you can wait for 45 minutes to an hour and the links to neighbor routers will begin functioning again, or you can 'rebuild' the network which will also get them functioning (but guarantees the same issue will recur on the next hub reboot)

Alternatively, instead of using rebuild you can reboot the Zigbee radio.. that will restore the links to neighbor routers again and will not 'break' them on a subsequent hub reboot.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.