C8 Hub goes down at least once a month (if not more)

I confirmed that I have both bands set to a fixed channel.

1 Like

5ghz should be set to auto, keep 2.4 at 6 and below, and your hub at 20 and above

Should be safe as long as the AP is updated past the point noted above where Unifi disabled the automatic nightly optimization. The channel optimization was found to boot the hub offline (probably only if channel changes) and it did not always reconnect.

1 Like

Forgot about that. I haven't noticed that because I'm hard wired. Need to remember that when discussing unifi.

It hung up again in the middle of the night last night. Are there really no user accessible logs other than what's shown in the "Logs" section? The devices abruptly stop logging...other than that there is nothing that I can find that helps me troubleshoot this.

Is it typically in the middle of the night when it hangs?

I would enter a warranty claim: Warranty – Hubitat Support
Even if you are slightly over the 90 days it has been on ongoing problem with your hub.

3 Likes

It has actually been about 5 1/2 months since I purchased it so I assume warranty isn't an option.

It seems to happen in the evening most often (between 7-8). This time it was after 1:00 a.m.

I will tag support @bobbyD @support_team and maybe they can look at the engineering logs.

If you dont hear anything I would use the support site to create a case.

2 Likes

If there are no errors in the Logs, that means there wouldn't be any further details in the engineering logs, either. What is not posted in Logs and appears in the engineering log, is where the error originated at the platform level, all other details are posted in Logs. With that being said, we can check the engineering logs to see what event might have occurred prior to hub locking (E.G. network disconnect, brief power outage, etc).

Please send me a private message along with your hub ID and we will further investigate.

1 Like

Message sent. Thanks, I appreciate you looking into this.

I received the replacement hub. I was waiting on support for the proper migration steps. Is it just a simple backup and restore to move to a new hub? (while maintaining existing devices)

It needs to be a cloud backup to transfer the zwave and zigbee radio info. If you do not have Hub Protect already you could either sign up for that (on old hub and than transfer to new hub), or I think possibly they will grant you special access to do a migration backup for this situation.

2 Likes

No need to wait, please check out this document. It coveres Hub Protect migration as well:

1 Like

I had seen that, but I was hoping there was a way to do it without a subscription, which that process requires if you aren't coming from an older generation. (unless what jtp10181 says is correct and I can request special access to this temporarily).

I thought I should provide an update. I didn't hear more on a free migration process here or from support directly (who stopped responding to me), so I'm still using the same hub. It continues to hang up frequently. I performed a backup, soft reset, and restore on November 20th, and the hub stayed up until December 9th. Just prior to that it was hanging once every few days, if not more, even after a backup/restore (no manual soft reset).

So, while the soft reset looked promising, it does not seem to have solved the problem.

Did you try to migrate, or are you speculating you cannot?

The way I read it, support gave the instructions above how to migrate. I thought that warranty hubs get free migration, but have never had occasion to use that feature so maybe I am wrong.

I attempted to follow the instructions, but they are not applicable without Hub Protect. I do not have a cloud backup or C-8 migration option on my old hub.

FYI, on current firmware a backup/restore does the exact same thing as backup > soft reset > restore, just with less work from the user.

1 Like

Thanks for confirmation - I had read that multiple times, but thought I'd give it a shot. I did have different results, but I can't confirm what all contributed.