C8? Has anyone heard any talk of the next generation?

That network map isn't Hubitat. It is a separate zigbee 3.0 network I run and integrate into Hubitat using virtual devices. But an Xbee3 will let you generate similar maps with Hubitat. Here's a link to the relevant thread:

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Agreed the 32 device limit has not at all been an issue. I've slowly moved more and more to zigbee because it works so much faster/better for me. The XBEE was huge in allowing me to see the network and actually watch in heal in real time.

2 Likes

Christmas is coming soon.... ??? :rofl: :pray:

2 Likes

My very ill-informed opinion would be that what I expect are continued troubles in getting electronics produced and distributed would nullify general expansion of a product like we would all like to see..... But maybe the introduction of a new protocol like Matter, over time, may make a new hub more of a viable proposition...? I'm guessing not this holiday season... But who knows....

3 Likes

Agree w/ @sburke781 that this holiday season would be a surprise timing-wise... Between seeing where Matter now goes and maturation of 800-series z-wave, my guess is we're still quite a ways off from the next-gen Hubitat.

3 Likes

That said... Given it's 6 months since the last major comment on this topic.... it would be interesting to understand what may be next hardware-based improvements people would like to see, beyond the enhancements we have all had an opportunity to enjoy over the last 3-4 months.... Not meant as a negative towards any hardware improvement, just questioning what people are looking for in what a new hub could offer? Try to encourage the powers that be to entertain your wishes.... Play salesperson... :wink:

1 Like

If and when it does come out here is hoping the hub recovery service can be used to restore to the new version...

2 Likes

I'm not really focused on fancy new features at this point - I really just want stability. Any thing HE team can do to make the experience as reliable, dependable, and as as much self-healing as possible is tops on my list. Maybe I'm a bit shell-shocked having gone through the growing pains of HE getting the 700-series SilLabs Z-Wave SDK work as well as possible. :slight_smile:

One of the few things that would incent me to jump on next-gen HE hub HW (aside from having a non-production one to play with) would be a built-in antenna mod. I think there is plenty of evidence now to show that the antenna mod can be a game changer for HE dependability.

9 Likes

This, and a zigbee radio whose ieee address was writable - making Hub Protect seamlessly cover both zigbee and zwave migrations.

13 Likes

:+1:

3 Likes

IIRC it’s also something staff have acknowledged they’d look into for future hardware revisions. It’s not necessary for me, since I’ve had no issues with zigbee or z-wave dependability, but if they do end up going that way, it’s another great example of how they take feedback from customers seriously and implement when feasible.

But I also don’t think the next hub is coming out anytime soon. Which I’m ok with, my holiday wish list is too long already.

You’re getting a lump of coal, btw. I have it on good authority :santa:.

3 Likes

LOL...coal!! At least better than Charlie Brown's rock, and my coal can keep me warm.

And that will be an improvement over last year when all I received was a frighteningly dark holiday meme from @rlithgow1. :wink:

1 Like

Agreed. There's no new z-wave controllers showing up on fccid. And given that Hubitat was just at CEDIA, if there's new hardware expected in the immediate future, I would think it would have been previewed (or at least mentioned) in the CEDIA presentation.

2 Likes

This is one I'm hoping for the most.

This would be great too!

I quote this all the time to my kids...especially around this time of year...

3 Likes

I would expect if a new hub was to be introduced for the holidays it would already be in or through FCC testing. To my knowledge there is no hub in testing.

1 Like

Rev C-8 Its coming with 700/800 onboard radio series.
Just hopping they have added more RAM and CPU :slight_smile:

From what Silicon Labs provides in this table of 700 / 800 comparison it doesn't seem like much that would help me except maybe longer battery life and somewhat better distance.

The increase in processor speed and memory doesn't seem like I would get any benefit as all my operations are not terribly time sensitive. And to my knowledge I've not been limited by the CPU memory.

+1 for the antenna upgrade.

2 Likes

Real reason 800 is more than a trivial update - Higher transmit power, higher receive sensitivity- both a big deal on LR range, not so much for non-LR - lower power consumption, 2x memory.

I made an app just the other day that wouldn't fit in my 700 dev board but would on my 800 based dev board due to memory.

A bit of a fictitious application, as I'm pretty sure I could have fit it in the 700 with a bit more work but still, the larger memory is nice.