C8 Elevation Hub Light Won't Turn Green

The hub just all of a sudden stopped connecting. The light is blue and wont' turn green anymore. I've been using a local network (no internet) for it and tried all 4 ports. Because none worked I then tried to connect directly to my home router to find it (via Lan) and it still doesn't turn green. Because of this I have no way to even reset the Hub to see if that will work. Such a bad design to not have a physical way to reset it. What can I do to get the green light?

Oh and I have tried unplugging and plugging it in multiple times (over 30) and have tried powering the routers on and off multiple times. No joy on any of it.

Sudden blue led not as a result of a failed update may be indicative of a hardware malfunction. Blue led means that the platfom is no longer running.

If you didn't do so already I suggest creating a warranty case by visiting the following page:

As you noted, rebooting the hub is not going to fix the problem. If you are able to access the Diagnostic Tool, you may want to try to restore a previously running version.

2 Likes

Network Reset (but this is probably not the issue): Network Setup | Hubitat Documentation

Diagnostic Tool will work during blue light: Hubitat Diagnostic Tool | Hubitat Documentation

Those docs are for v125 which JUST got pushed this week, since your hub was offline it probably is not updated. Works about the same you just wont have the advanced section.

What you probably need to do is download your backups from there for safe keeping, then do a soft reset, once it reboots restore from your most recent backup.

Could also try rolling back the firmware (if you recently did an update) using the Restore Previous Version button.

1 Like

Thanks to you and jtp10181....unfortunately I can't even see the hub on my network. Therefore it doesn't have an assigned IP where I can get to the diagnostic option. I've tried connecting it to multiple routers (I was running it on a local no internet network) and it won't show up. Very frustrating as it's only 3 weeks old and this is needed for a project I am helping a school with. I've submitted a ticket for support but don't envision that will be a quick solution either. I'll keep trying to see if the diagnostic will show up but I couldn't get it to work earlier.

Try the network reset which is done with a button on the hub, no IP access is needed.
That possibly might bring it online.

Also, you can make note of the MAC from the bottom sticker and then run arp -a from a command line, and look for it in there. A few people have had it show up with a 169.254.x IP but were actually able to connect to it that way until they got it working right again.

Also you can try https://findmyhub.hubitat.com/ and the Advanced Discovery button.

The diagnostic tool should always be running with the blue light, you wont have the normal UI on port 80 but 8081 should work if you can get it to connect to the router with an IP.

1 Like

Thanks! I forgot about that button. I did try it and still just goes back to blue and I can't access or find it. I guess my hub is dead. Will need to get a replacement and start again. It's on a local network (No internet) so I never backed up the progress but at the same time I was just adding devices so I can work to set that up again. Thanks again and if something changes I'll keep everyone updated.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and thought my hub was dead. Turns out rebooting my router (TP-Link Deco Mesh system) fixed it. The light turned green right after I rebooted. Not really sure why but it might be worth a shot in your situation.

1 Like

Thanks Ansible...I have rebooted both the router and hub about 20+ times (probably closer to 50+ :slight_smile: ) so unfortunately that hasn't helped. Appreciate your sharing your experience though. Oh, and I tried to hard connect it to my other router and still nothing.

When pressing the network reset button , did you do it for 7 or more seconds or momentarily?

I've held it down for different times. 5sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, up to even just past 30 secs and it just doesn't want to ever go green.

All that matters is when you let go of the button the LED should flash a couple of time and then the hub reboots. If that happened then the network reset did its thing.

Have you tried a different power supply? Unlikely, but ...

It definitely blinked. I got my replacement order Saturday and from how its response is compared to my first one I think the first one was just bad. It had way more lag and froze more often versus this new one that is more smooth and reactive. I'm going to return the old one, luckily still under the warranty from Amazon. Appreciate everyones responses.

3 Likes

Consider Hub Protect...cheap as chips and protects you from catastrophic failures w/ability to restore your entire setup including all devices on a replacement hub, and includes a free replacement hub if you had a HW failure.

"Super duper worth it" as my nephew says when he wants his parents to order pizza. :wink: