C8 boots and after a short time drops off the network

My new C8 that arrived today struggles to keep running. I can see from my Eero that it is connected (wired) for a a short while. When I plugged it in the 1st time, it never got past the blue LED. After about 15 minutes with no connection, I held the reset button on the bottom and nothing changed. I then power cycled. This happened a few more times and then I did get connected via a browser and saw the booting sequence up to 100%. As I was going through the hub registration process the hub was found, and then became non-responsive when navigating to: http://10.0.0.201/getstarted where 10.0.0.201 was the hub ip address. Thereafter, there was no response despite the green LED displaying. The Eero also noticed that it was no longer active on the network. At this point I'm looking for ideas on what to try next since I'm not connected long enough to see anything on the hub.

Have you setup any IP reservation within your Eero router? i.e. reserving 10.0.0.201? Or is achieved through the HE hub settings? Or not at all?

Also, what options have you chosen (or not) for an ethernet or Wi-Fi connection from the HE hub? Are you attempting to use Wi-Fi at all?

Is your Eero configured for a /24 subnet? Some of them are configured for a /22 subnet but in its standard configuration HE is configured for a /24 subnet. Not sure that this is causing your issue but I have seen it before on Eeros.

(You can verify by looking at the subnet mask on the Eero. If it's 255.255.255.0 it's /24)

2 Likes

Have you tried http://hubitat.local ?

I'm using the default /24 on my eero's DHCP. I originally was using a reserved IP for it, but as I iterated I turned that off so .201 was just the next available. I've not done anything with Wi-Fi on the hub. I'm replacing my C5 so the cable is already there, and better :slight_smile:

Any other ideas from anyone?

@bobbyD

Well, after leaving it off overnight and turning my C5 back on so that automations would run, I retried this morning and everything worked. I don't understand what was wrong, but it seems to be working now. :confused:

1 Like

I just upgraded to the C8 Hub at Home from a C7.... Everything went fine....
Then I upgraded to the C8 at my office from a C5.... not so good.

The C8 Hub was found no problem, registered no problem, updated my DHCP reservation to assign the same ip as the C5, no problem....
Then I restored the cloud backup from the C5 and it was all over.

After troubleshooting my symptoms are...
Plug in C8 Hub....
Blue light comes on after about 8 seconds....
Once the blue light comes on, the Hub is available on the network, I can ping it.
Then after apx 1 minute 30 seconds the ping begins to fail
The light turns green after apx 2 minutes 10 seconds
The hub never becomes available on the network again (waited over an hour), it does not respond to ping, nor can I access it through the browser.

I removed the C8 from DHCP reservation and rebooted it, DHCP issues it an ip of 192.168.10.50
I set my DHCP reservation back to the MAC of the C5
I plugged my C5 back in and it has no issue with or without DHCP, unfortunately none of my devices are responding to it any longer. So I have to assume the devices did get transfered to the new hub.

I searched for a hard reset for the C8 thinking I would just start over... but I do not see a hard rest procedure.

Fortunately, I only have 10 devices at the office (a few locks and a couple lights) so it wont be the end of the world to start from scratch, but I cant even access the hub at the moment.

Hoping someone has some direction to offer... or I maybe I just need to return the hub for warranty.

Pretty disappointed and frustrated at the moment....

Thanks in advance for any help

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.