C7 will not backup to cloud, can't migrate to c8

I bought a C8 but the C7 will not backup to the cloud. It is registered and passes the network tests. When I click settings > backup and restore > create and upload (Create a cloud backup for C-8 migration), all it does is display "Last cloud backup upload failed, please try again." any ideas? Thanks.

Was pinging cloud.hubitat.com one of these tests? If not, try that--or make sure you have valid DNS servers set (try setting them again even if they look right) or just try a network reset if DHCP is fine for you just to make sure.

2 Likes

Are you on a static ip or DHCP? This sounds like a DNS issue. If you have a static ip, even if it looks like the c7 has dns settings, set the dns to 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1 and click save. Then try the update.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I did not ping cloud.hubitat.com, but I did ping 1.1.1.1 successfully which was the default. I will test that when I get home later today, about 5 PM PDT.

Thanks for the reply. Are you asking if the C7 is static, or if my WAN's IP is static? Both are DHCP, but the C7 has a 'fixed' DHCP assignment, set by my UniFi Dream Machine Pro. I did disable the setting to fix the DHCP assignment, making it truly DCHP (but it didn't change, of course) and tried again but got the same result.

I have another C7 at work, with a similar network setup; UniFi equipment, but a USG instead of the Dream Machine. The WAN has a static IP and the C7's IP is DHCP and fixed. I was able to create and upload the cloud backup on that one, so at least I have a success to compare and contrast.

Thanks again. I'll let you know what happens next. -Tim

1 Like

Press the network reset button on the bottom of the hub that is not connecting to the internet using a toothpick or a paperclip for 7 seconds. (This will be the only round hole out of all the square ones). Make sure you have a DHCP reservation. Then see if it's getting on the internet properly. If not check your dream machines isn't blocking DNS for some reason to the hub ip.

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried them all but still no joy. From the C7 UI, Settings > Network setup > Network test > Ping host: cloud.hubitat.com returns:
PING d194wzi4ri2kev.cloudfront.net (99.84.238.130) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from server-99-84-238-130.sfo5.r.cloudfront.net (99.84.238.130): icmp_seq=1 ttl=245 time=31.5 ms

I did the network reset with the paper clip just to make sure, but no change. I combed though the UDMP and disabled anything that could possible have an effect, but no change. It was a pretty vanilla config to begin with.

I think I'll just take it & the C8 into my office and do the upgrade from there. Any reason why that wouldn't work? Thanks again. -Tim

What error are you getting when you do the migration backup?

C7_cloud_backup

When I attempt the cloud backup, the progress circle moves for 2 seconds at most, the screen flashes, the circle disappears and that's it. "Last cloud backup upload failed, please try again" has been displayed since the first attempt. Regarding that flash, I created a 60 fps recording hoping to find an error message, but there is none, it's just a flash.

Next, I took my UniFi router off the network and used the ISP supplied cable modem to provide DHCP service. I did the network reset on the C7, forcing it to pick up a new IP (a 192... address; I use 172... in my UniFi config). I confirmed the new IP, signed into it, went to the network test and successfully pinged host cloud.hubitat.com. I tried the backup again but got the exact same result.

My next step is to take the C7 to my office and try it from there, which worked for the C7 which lives there.

I have a spare C7. I might try restoring a local backup to it and seeing if it can upload.

Finally, there are only 2 devices on my home C7. I probably could have set up the C8 from scratch by now, but I would really like to find out what is going on.

Thanks again for the help. -Tim

Something just occurred to me. Since I've ruled out my network config, I looked at what is different between my home C7 and my office C7 (which did backup to the cloud) and found something that may be significant. My office C7 has only ZigBee devices; no Zwave. My home C7 has Zwave devices only; no ZigBee. The home C7 perpetually lists one alert: ZigBee radio is offline. I always assumed that was due to having no ZigBee devices and ignored it. However, the office C7 does not have an alert saying the Zwave radio is offline. I suspect the alert is what is causing the back to fail (probably aborted at the server end). So either my ZigBee radio is really faulty, or else that alert will go away when I connect a ZigBee device. We'll see.

It is very unlikely you will be able to pair a device with this error message.

I didn't see anywhere that you fully power cycled the hub, that is do a shutdown from the settings menu, pull the power cord (at the wall) and wait 30 seconds to a minute before plugging back in.

You might also check the Zigbee Settings page in the Settings tab, and see if it is enabled/disabled and what the status message says about online/offline.

1 Like

Thanks!! I disabled the Zigbee network and my cloud backup succeeded! Problem solved! Thanks again to all for the education. -Tim

3 Likes

The migration to C8 is complete. Everything works. Thanks to all. _Tim

2 Likes

Just remember that your radios arent backed up with local backups.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.