C7 requires power pull every 10-14 days

I have had an issue for a while where the unit will freeze, become unresponsive to all interfaces and no longer even shows up as a device. Its not clockwork - but if it hasn't done it in 12 days.. I know its coming soon.. I have tried soft resets, looking for misbehaving drivers, apps, high usage, etc.. nothing looks out of the ordinary from what I am seeing. I have even tried using the rebooter so it reboots every 5 days.. still does it. Where else besides the logs can I look.. What else can I do to trouble shoot this?

I know some have issues with this 700 chipset, others don't. The updates have greatly improved zwave, but I occasionally still get lag with zwave devices. Zibgee is fine. The last 4 times, the freeze has come at the same time - right after a scheduled blinds close in the morning when the last person leaves. Is that the cause? No idea.. because it has not always done it there.. just the last few times.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks

This may temporarily lag, depending on how many LSS/FLiRS devices are having to be woken up.. But it should in no way cause an issue that would require a reboot.

1 Like

By "all interfaces" do you include the diagnostics page on port 8081?

This is a wildcard and wouldn't really correlate to shades but have you enabled jumbo frames on your network? There are reports of jumbo frames causing HE to lock up.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.. brad5 - yes port 8081 is what I try. Are there others? Also - np jumbo frames on this network. Brian - interesting info on the lag - could be why it lags.. beyond that I have no idea.. any other suggestions as to where to look? I doubt the blinds cause the freeze, but the last few times it has hit right at that point.

well.. made it 6 days this time.. and according to the logs.. there was no event that happened.. just locked up. Aside from the logs and device usage.. are there any other places I can look to see what it triggering it?

Have you looked to see how quickly your free memory drops? http://yourHubIp/hub/advanced/freeOSMemory if you want to check manually, or the Hub Information Driver can also pull it for you.

1 Like

thanks for the heads up.. I actually have been checking it often - I usually have 360,000-400,000 free. Although you never know what happens right before the crash. Is there a way to graph this info instead of just checking on it at any one time?

Many people export the data to an InfluxDb and graph it using Grafana, but you can also use

or

1 Like

so here is my update 15 days later.. froze three times in the past 15 days.. I am on the longest stretch right now of uptime at 3.5 days.. Free memory starts at 400 or so k and slowly drops.. so.. now what.. are there other logs to look at to see what is going on? I actually have time to dedicate to it now so any thoughts on where to go would be appreciated.. No jumbo frames, IP assignment is fine.. also have a c4 sitting right next to it that runs a lot of the cloud stuff (honeywell, nuheat, etc..) and it is fine. General stats.. I have about 70 devices, 30 or so custom rules / automations - so nothing out of the ordinary. When its on.. its smooth and fantastic.. when its not..

|Name|HubitatC7 Hub|
| --- | --- |
|Version|C-7 / 2.3.4.129|
|IP Addr|192.168.0.18|
|Free Mem|357956 KB|
|CPU Load/Load%|0.06 / 1.5 %|
|DB Size|4 MB|
|Last Restart|2023-01-07 16:50:35|
|Uptime|3d,14h,29m,18s|
|Temperature|98.6 °F|
|ZB Channel|0x14 (20)|
|ZW Radio/SDK|7.18 / 7.15|

There have been a few posts lately in this topic. Changing out the power supply on the hub resolved the issue for several folks. You should try that and any 1A 5VDC power brick will work.

Is your hub connected to a UPS? If not highly suggest you do.

1 Like

interesting.. will try that

1 Like

so here we are almost 2 months later.. and the c7 never got any better.. towards the end i would be lucky to make it 3 days... 2 was usually the limit and most of the time it was 1.5 This was after new adapter, usb cable and even added a ups. I tried several soft resets.. nothing.. something always caused it to crap freeze. In watching the memory it would always start around 500-600k and would drop over the next 2 days.. although a few times it would freeze with over 500 available.. so go figure.. So I decided to pull the trigger on a c8. upgrade went fine and as of right now its going on 2.5 days and none of the lag like the c7 had.. so knock on wood, I had a problematic c7.. so we shall see where it goes from here.. if it starts freezing again then I'll have to figure something out... but for now - all is right with the world

If you want a quick look over of the zwave post screenshots of the details page. After your hub settles in and establishes all the neighbors and routes, let it run for at least 24 hours uptime before getting the screenshots.

going on 13 days! free memory has hovered around 340-350.. started at 500 and has worked its way down.. but for the past 4 or 5 days has been steady. Here are the zwave details.. definitely and improvement in speed and reaction. at this point I am starting to chalk it up to more of a hub issue that had something to do with my configuration for the c7. The c8 is a simple backup and restore..

I see a few devices with a lot of route changes, granted this is over 13 days so its not too horrible. Some of it could be from when everything was getting settled on the C8 still.

If you want to track it again for a few days just reboot the hub to reset all those stats.

I also see it looks like you have one of the older Zooz 4-in-1 sensors? Basement - Bar Motion.
Check the device page and see what firmware it is on. If its 32.x and not 32.12 I would suggest getting it updated and also using my custom driver so it will be less chatty.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.