C7 Local Backups Fail on 2.3.8.122 (using Vivaldi)

I already reported the issue. After searching, technical people have posted that it's related to a javascript bug in v6.6. Thanks for verifying the problem.

4 Likes

Good information! I too, hadn't had any problems until I updated Vivaldi last night. Today, no download. Rolled the browser back and voila.

3 Likes

That is the reason I posted the steps to revert in the case that others had this problem.

Awesome. Since you said that, I did a search for javascript error version 6.6. Appears the moderator on the forum on at least one thread thinks it's okay to not get a prompt to download. Hopefully, they get a fix for it.

1 Like

I rolled Vivladi back to 6.5. It does work now, but the "About" dialog says it's running 6.6. Strange.

1 Like

Don't bother with the minor update to 6.6 on Vivaldi. Issue still present.

1 Like

So, per the forum, it is NOT the JS issue. It is the "insecure download" protection that cancels the download with no user notification. The JS issue is supposedly fixed now though.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Thanks for this. Wondering if you can just do your whole local domain? I have too many things that fail on this (not just hubitat, my router, my Raspberry Pi, Home assistant, Octoprint, etc). Also, I am not having to do this with Chrome. Not sure why. But, chrome doesn't give me any issues. My current workaround is Firefox when I need it.

I'm running Vivaldi 6.5.3206.59 stand-alone and don't have "Insecure origins treated as secure" in flags. Regardless, the version I'm running doesn't have this bug.

Currently on 6.6.3271.48 with Windows 11. Assuming you are comfortable running an older version of Vivaldi.

Thanks for this fix! It was driving me batty trying to figure out why I couldn't get backups to download.

1 Like

Docs are a bit vague "Treat given (insecure) origins as secure origins. Multiple origins can be supplied as a comma-separated list."

Multiple comma separated IPs worked for me, however partial IP addresses were quietly rejected

They did for me as well. I wasn't sure how to handle multiple IPs, but the comma seemed to have done the trick.

Right, but the effort to do this on all of my devices with Vivaldi FOR all of my other devices that would need exceptions, it is easier to just use a browser that works. As much as I love Vivaldi, this is a fail on their part.

2 Likes

The latest version (6.6.3271.48) is supposed to fix this, but I still have the problem. (bug VB-104397)

1 Like

Yes, that is the version I was talking about when I said this:

Also, that bug is NOT the issue about insecure downloads. It is about the JS error which was a totally different issue. In that error, the downloads still occured, but the user wasn't allowed to change the location because no prompt was put up.

The issue causing problems with downloading config files from any device on a local lan from an HTTP (vs https) location is that Vivaldi has deemed they are insecure due to lack of an HTTPS address and has proactively decided for the user that they can't download it (Ya know, for your own protection). This doesn't just affect Hubitat. It also affects Router config/backups, NAS config/Backups, and literally anything with an HTTP address, EVEN if it is on your LOCAL lan. I mean, it's not like they could have a prompt to ask if you really want to do this. Or, compare it to the address of the device and determine that it is a device on your local lan. You just need to be protected from yourself.

**** Edited to add, when I posted in their forums about this, they claimed it was because chrome was forcing it. However, Chrome, and my other chromium browsers don't have this issue. At one point, you had to click to approve. But, trying on chrome just today, the download just works. And, as always Firefox just works. I only wish Firefox had a sticky desktop mode on Androiid devices. That is literally the reason I switched from Firefox to Vivaldi in the first place.

2 Likes

I am on a C8 v2.3.8.122 and local backups do not work using Vivaldi, but do work using Edge. I am just "reporting status." I guess we will wait for a Vivaldi update and use Edge in the interim.

It's a Vivaldi update you're waiting on, not Chrome. FYI - Edge is Chromium based as well. Neither Chrome nor Edge have this problem. It is currently exclusive to Vivaldi.

1 Like

Thanks ... Vivaldi update it is. Post corrected.

Another update with no change. They also just broke using a mouse or pen on mobile. BUT, the downloads appear to work on mobile with a pop up warning.