C7 Hub Unresponsive

Hello,

After a recent power blip, a few minutes after adding a new Z-Wave switch, my C7 hub became unresponsive.

I am unable to load the web interface at port 80 of my device's IP (connection timeout). I am also unable to load any interface on port 8081. A port scan showed no open ports, and I do not receive a ping response.

I believe that in the past, I may have set up a static IP on the device itself, as when I removed the reservation from my router (thus putting the device back into the DHCP pool) the device still came online with its old static IP, and not a DHCP-issued lease from the pool.

I have moved the device to a few different switches, including directly into my 'backbone' switch, and see that the device is negotiating at 100Mbps, and seems to have sent ~6Mb of data in the first couple minutes after boot.

The device seems to turn on, starting with a blue light, which after a few mins turns to green, as one would expect. But after 30+ minutes I am still not getting any web interface.

The 'findmyhub' page finds my hub, but the JSON response after performing a MAC-based search (after it instantly 'found' my hub) showed a last activity time many hours in the past, even prior to the power blip; meaning, even after accounting for UTC time zone, the 'last activity' timestamp seemed a bit outdated. The 'findmyhub' page seemed like it was showing cached data, though I did try in incognito mode.

I'd like to see what my options are to troubleshoot via USB, or by some other means to soft or hard reset the device. I have (what appears to be) a backup from a few months ago, so that makes me feel a bit better, thinking I'll have less to reconfigure w/ respect to z-wave and zigbee gateway config when I ultimately have to reset or replace this thing.

Any guidance or advice would be appreciated!

One extra note -- I'll double check, but as much as this feels like a firewall rules thing, I don't have any configuration that should block traffic to/from this device, I also didn't make any IP network changes around the time the issue started.

If your is connected via ethernet (as insinuated above), and if the hub's LED remains green, this is very likely due to some device on your LAN using jumbo ethernet frames (JF). These are known to knock the hub's network interface offline.

The solution would be to make sure that no device on your LAN using JF. Alternatively, put the hub on a separate Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) switch, where it will never see JF.

I can see why one would conclude that. But it is unlikely to be a firewall rules issue.

@user5680 To add to what @aaiyar restore to the previous day's backup to ensure you have a clean database.

I would also set your DHCP reservation again and just to clear everything, press the network reset button on the bottom of the hub for 7 seconds with a paper clip or toothpick (It will be the only round hole out of all the square ones).

2 Likes

As stated, do the network reset. Network Setup | Hubitat Documentation

After holding the button for 7+ seconds, let go, LED will flash a couple times then the hub will reboot.

2 Likes

@jtp10181 @rlithgow1 This was exactly what I was looking for! I removed the DHCP reservation from my DHCP server, then held the button for apx. 7-10 seconds, and the device came back online w/ a DHCP-issued IP from the pool and was immediately available via web interface (including port 8081).

From there, I re-applied the reservation and reboot the hub (also downloaded a more recent backup, to be safe), and I am back up and running!
Thank you all so much.

3 Likes