C7 Blue Light blues

Where did you purchase your C-7 from?

1 Like

Hubs donā€™t update automatically. Only when you initiate an update.

5 Likes

Auto update? Where do you set that? I've always have to update the firmware manually.. but that's how I prefer it anyway.

Sorry to hear about your troubles - can be super frustrating especially if you feel you aren't getting proper support. I had issues early on with a C-4 and bad power supply but the folks at HE hooked me up with replacement also they've been very active on this community site so I've had nothing but good experiences to report. I suspect they are much busier now thanks to an influx of SmartThings and Wink owners..

I've messed with Home Assistant and it's definitely a powerful system. Just don't have the time (yet) to deal with all the quirks, breaking updates, device driver issues etc.. I'm not sure it's suitable for the "average" user even though parts are very well done. You can end up in the weeds very quickly. For someone more technically inclined I can totally see the benefit though.

Having said that I would (probably) never incorporate it into the systems I recommend and provide to my clients it's potentially too complex for that. HE is simpler out of the box, compatible with a wide range of devices and has just worked for my use-case. I've been able to handle most of the troubleshooting myself (and with the communities help). :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

You are correct. They download the official update, prompt you to update them. That's still Hubitat sanctioned updates, in the official method of updating.

All updates are official and sanctioned by Hubitat, because thereā€™s only one way to update the hub, but itā€™s not automatic :slight_smile:.

1 Like

C7 purchased directly from Hubitat, one of the first batch sent out. (Took a while to get to Australia.)

Initially support responded with a few more questions (of things I'd already tried but I understand they have to follow their support script) and then were "is your address still the same?" to which I replied "yes it was" but then they said my hub was out of wty period - which I now look through the website I discover is only 90 days.
The hardware seems fine - it's the Hubitat official firmware that seems to have bricked it into 'perma blue light' mode.

Home Assistant - it used to be very newbie unfriendly. However now, running on a Pi (where you simply download the SD image and kick it off) with a Z-Stick for my Z-wave gear is all running just fine through the web interface - no YAML required. In fact the drivers support my Aeotec gear better than the Hubitat ever has - the config options actually exist and things like the RGBW LED strip 'just work'.
Admittedly Z-wave is not something I'd point a beginner to... but I've had that for years.

I was actually looking to the C7 to be a 'production' hub - sit there on the shelf, tick along and run my Z-wave mesh better than my old home-brew Home Assistant setup ever did. Maybe even add some Zigbee and wifi gear in the near future. And then it bricked itself.

The gear may be 'prod ready' but the support and overall processes do not seem to be... though I can work with that, if the attitude wasn't "oh well, not our problem if the hub is now broken." That is not a good way to treat C7 early adopters.

I've never heard of a hub being bricked so badly from an update that it couldn't be rolled back/reset/fixed - but there is always a first/defective hardware.

Not sure what support did/didn't tell you, though. If they really said it the way you describe it, I would post copies of the correspondence on the forum - but that's me. :slight_smile:

Anyway, sorry you had such a bad experience. Since you've already moved on to HA I guess there is no point in really going over this any further though.

5 Likes

You are correct - it is not fully automatic, you need to say "yes, install the official update to make my hub work as it should."

So the official firmware broke the official bit of hardware.

How did the hub "not work as it should" prior to the update?

2 Likes

As @JasonJoel said, that does sound like a very unusual occurrence.

Iā€™d be curious to see what support said about that too.

2 Likes

Interesting - your warranty experience has been very different than mine. And also your correspondence with Support.

1 Like

Iā€™ve installed every platform release from March 2019 to today on my C-5, and I have one of the earliest C-7s as well. Neither of them has ever bricked from an update. So it is not a common occurrence.

3 Likes

In truncated and slightly redacted form (to keep out IPs, and ref numbers) below. I've put it back into chronological order, for the ease of reading.

Me
Mar 27, 2021, 9:21 PM EDT
Hi Support,

I have a C7 model, diagnostics data below.

Hub Information

Platform Version: hub-2.2.6.130
Hardware Version: Rev C-7
Hub ID:
IP Address:
Diagnostic Tool Version: 1.0.81

I can get at port 8081 (as evidenced above). Port 80 redirects to 443 but then I get the ā€˜unable to connectā€™ message.

The hub has been working fine for months ā€“ this happened directly after (during?) the last update. I clicked ā€˜updateā€™ on the web interface and then left it to itā€¦ a hour or so later, the light was blue and there was no connection other than the diag interface.

Iā€™ve tried:

• Rollback to Previous: You are currently running 2.2.6.130. Select one of the following versions to switch to: 2.2.5.131, 2.2.5.126, 2.2.4.158 ā€“ none of which allow access to the normal interface
  • Iā€™ve tried a soft reset.
  • In between Iā€™ve checked and updated the clock (it would reset to 2015 I think).
  • Iā€™ve rolledback to the earliest on my hub 2.2.4.158, updated the clock, then ā€˜download latest versionā€™ which is does, goes through the 0%->100% and all the usual stages, then says it rebootsā€¦ but nothing. Only diag interface.
  • Iā€™ve rebooted. Iā€™ve shutdown. Iā€™ve disconnected the power & waited 30mins.

I think Iā€™ve hit a SNAFU pointā€¦ any ideas how to reset this properly? Iā€™ve got config backups, so happy to go back to factory restore and recover as needed, assuming it keeps my Z-Wave devices linked to the radio (or recovers as part of the restore).

(Hubitat Support)
Mar 29, 2021, 3:48 PM EDT

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us. The issue you reported has been referred to our engineering team and is under investigation. While our team is working on resolving the problem that's causing some hubs to not start properly after an update, here are a few tips on how to bring your hub back online, now:

• Go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/
  • Reboot the hub from there, see if it comes up.
  • If not, go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/ again, revert to previous version.
  • After it comes up, go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/ yet again and "revert" to version 2.2.5.
  • It's possible that 2.2.5 is not showing as an option at this point. Use Download latest version to get it onto the hub. Doing so doesn't switch to the downloaded version, so once download is done, use revert option to switch.
  • If it still doesn't come up, revert to previous version

If all fail, please provide us with the following details, so we can further research:

• LED color that hub is displaying.
  • Device type that is being used (E.G. mobile phone, tablet, computer)
  • Operating system
  • Internet browser
  • Email address used to log into portal.hubitat.com (if different than the one used for this ticket)
  • MAC address (there is a sticker on the hub)
  • Local assigned hub IP address (assigned by your router or DHCP server)
  • Public IP address (from a service like https://www.whatismyip.com)

(me)
Mar 29, 2021, 7:34 PM EDT

Iā€™ve tried all the things you mention below. (See my initial support email for details.)

C7ā€™s MAC is -------------------------

The C7 light is constantly blue. No other colour, other than it being off.

The unit will accept (via diag UI) reverting to a previous versionā€¦ but still doesnā€™t work (on 80/443). The diag menu continues to function.

Soft reset starts but generates ā€œunknown error occurred.ā€

OS ā€“ Iā€™ve tried iphone 11 w latest iOS, ipad (latest), Win10 64b (fully patched) with Firefox and Edge. Diag interface works fine on all (with some multi selection glitches on the iphone screen due to size).

Local IP address is x.x.x.x and it is not published out to online. The hub has unrestricted access to get out (i.e. download updates) but I donā€™t use your cloud services for anything / donā€™t publish dashboards upstream.

Any ideas how to un-brick it?

(Me)
Mar 31, 2021, 7:41 AM EDT

Small update - 2.2.6.133 update installed but no change to the overall behaviour. Light still blue; all other things like soft reset still fail and rollback doesnā€™t achieve anything.

(Bobby@ Hubitat Support)
Apr 2, 2021, 7:03 PM EDT
Hello there,

Thank you for the details. Unfortunately, you will need a hub replacement. When you have a chance, could you please confirm that the address we have on file is still valid?

[my correct postal address listed here]

(me)
Apr 2, 2021, 7:05 PM EDT
Ah, it is truly bricked then. :confounded:

The address details you have are correct.

(Bobby @ Hubitat Support)
Apr 9, 2021, 2:35 PM EDT
Hello,

Thank you the update. Due to an increased number of recent tickets, you may experience delay in our response times. We will try to research your hub and provide guidance on further troubleshooting, as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

(me)
Apr 9, 2021, 11:23 PM EDT
If youā€™re thinking to send out a replacement C7 hub for my bricked on, it may be easier to simply refund me the cost of the unit. As to why - the hub has now been bricked for over 2 weeks so I have moved my system back over to Home Assistant running on a Pi 3; having had to manually move all the zwave devices across too.

(Hubitat Support)
Apr 15, 2021, 11:27 AM EDT
Hello there,

Thank you for the details. Unfortunately, you are passed the hardware warranty coverage and there isn't much we can do at this time to either refund or replace your hub.

(me)
Apr 20, 2021, 7:52 AM EDT
My response around the ā€˜refundā€™ vs replace was due to your checking what our postal address was.

Your update bricked the C7 that was less than a year old. What is being done about that now.

(Hubitat Support)
May 4, 2021, 10:46 AM EDT
Hello there,

Thank you for the details. Unfortunately, you are passed the hardware warranty coverage and there isn't much we can do at this time to either refund or replace your hub.

That certainly isn't optimal.
:frowning:

5 Likes

You can see why I thought "oh, ok, it is bricked and they'll send a new one" then it went quiet, then I thought "heck it will take 6-8wk for it to arrive here in Australia and I need some of my automation running for security lighting etc so I'll move it over to HA again (until new C7 arrives)" and then get the 'oh well, not covered' response.

1 Like

Hi there, today's email was sent in error. We were planning on sending a replacement from our Australian partner, as mentioned a few weeks ago, but there have been longer delays than we anticipated. I will follow up on your ticket in the morning with more details.

4 Likes

Ok, thank you bobbyD. Unfortunately that bit was unclear from the email trail...

3 Likes

I am having this same issue, here is my Support email if there is anything else anyone can think for me to try. I just emailed support so not sure how long it will take to get a response but hoping sooner than latter but not holding my breath so figured I would try here as well. Thanks

I have a C-7 Hub that I purchased several months ago but just got around to plugin it in today. I currently have a C-5 that is running perfectly, hence the slowness to start the migration project to the new hub. When I plug in the new c-7 hub it gives me the blue light of death that I have read about a lot in the forums. Here is what I have done so far.

I do get a local ip address for the hub that I was able to look up on my router.

When I go to the ip address 192.168.0.3 the hub refuses connection

when I use the find.hubitat.com function it just spins and never finds anything.

I pressed and held the tiny button on the bottom of the hub for 10sec still booted with same issues.

I updated the time as it was set for 2015 but didn't help

I have done everything here with the c-5 disconnected and powered down from the internet to make sure there were no issues with that

I can get to the diagnostic page at http://192.168.0.3:8081/

I did a hard reset and with a 30 sec unplug to get back to the same problems.

I tried to revert back to previous but there are no options available to revert to. (Platform Version:
hub-2.2.4.158 Diagnostic Tool Version: 1.0.75)

the http://192.168.0.3/hub/cloud/updateDiagnosticTool just refuses connection so I have not been able to switch the version to new or old.

Thanks for any help!!

If you did hold your breath, you can start breathing again while you check your email :slight_smile: And will go from there.

3 Likes