C-8 Wi-Fi disconnects

I’m using Wi-Fi vs. Ethernet for my C-8 hubs. However they disconnect after a while and stay disconnected. In trouble shooting I rebooted my Eero network to see if they would reconnect automatically, they did not.

This behavior is indicative of the Wi-Fi power management is turned on for the Wi-Fi interfaces. I’m assuming they are running a Linux kernel.

Can you take a look at this?

1 Like

I rebooted my master bedroom C-8 sure enough back online. I’m 99% sure this is the power management for the Wi-Fi interface.

Should be disabled on servers (or server like IoT devices)

1 Like

It might be but wouldn't that only kick in if there was no network activity for a while? HE communicates pretty regularly across that IP connection.

I wonder if enabling DHCP reconnect would help?

Nope. Has nothing to do with activity on the interface, it doesn’t power save based on outbound inbound activity, else it would never turn off. (Also that option in the Hubitat UI says it only works for physical connections, not Wi-Fi).

For servers (which often don’t use Wi-Fi) you must turn off power management for the interfaces with the radios.

I have 94 total devices on my network,
56 of which are Wi-Fi. They are all working fine except for the C-8.

Some of these devices are servers which are using Wi-Fi that I run and maintain (which is why I know about this issue.)

The reason I rebooted my Eero network is some devices may think they are connected but are not actually connected and rebooting the Wi-Fi access points severs their connection and they re-connect. This would indicate a different problem with the IoT device, but both of the C-8 did not exhibit this behavior, so I’m ruling it out for the time being.

Have the developers check to see if power management is enabled on the Wi-Fi interfaces. If it is, disable the power management. If it’s not, then I’m at a loss to why the C-8 are disconnecting.

I don’t have access to the console, so hard for me to debug.

1 Like

Google: wifi power management server linux

You will see a lot of documentation for all the distributions of Linux. It’s a common issue. :wink: I’m guessing because the C-8 is very new, this is an issue not seen or perhaps seen but not understood.

1 Like

I know this isn’t a raspberry pi, but I was trying to think of a well known device similar to the C-8 that might experience the exact same issue. First result on google when I searched is the exact behavior I’m experiencing with the C-8.

Hope all this information helps make the C-8 Wi-Fi more stable.

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=336276

1 Like

Tagging @gopher.ny

Thank you for bringing it up. Next build will have WiFi power save disabled.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.