C-8 Unresponsive: Checking with other users

Everything is working fine.

It is difficult to pin down the actual cause. I think it might be related to the fact that I initially set up the C8 as wireless, but switched to a wired connection when I discovered that the wireless connection could not ve set up with a static IP.

I did also move the hub around a little, so maybe some RF hub was producing some interference?

I did finish up setting up IoT devices and removed those that were polling excessively.

So far, so good.

I hope it stays this way as I add additional devices and rules to my C8.

Roy

2 Likes

Mine had to do with the hub running at a high temperature. A low power setting was set on the backend by Hubitat support and that appears to have resolved the issue. Additionally, if that wasn't going to work, they were prepared to send me a replacement hub and opened a case for me. Kudos to bobbyd and gopher.ny for their help.

5 Likes

No issues seen thus far since the hub locked up and was rebooted on 2023-09-26 while running 2.3.6.134. Successfully upgraded to 2.3.6.140 on 2023-10-02, and zero lockups or restarts afterwards. Performing an upgrade to 2.3.6.144 right now.

@King - With many posts to the community with my issue and also direct messaging through X (Twitter); it was determined by support that the Zigbee radio in my C-8 was causing the issue. I had some options and ultimately chose the replacement. Since the replacement I have NOT had the issue; except for 1 time but I had also updated both of my Apple TV's and the backup took over as the primary apple home controller. Also I was able to access the diagnostic page of the C-8 so I just restarted it (important to check that also, since it turns out that simply removing power from the device can cause a database corruption, which support also said I had before the replacement).

Also note I have not switched back to wireless connectivity. I switched to wired during troubleshooting before my replacement and simply haven't switch back.

@King - I've not had the issue as of late. One of the things I was waiting to do was try the diagnostic tool the next time I saw the issue. I have not opened a ticket but perhaps I should.

Are you using ASUS WiFi routers?

Yes, I am.

@bobbyD was saying that Hubitat doesn't work with Asus very well. Bobby is this in any documentation? I bought new routers prior to going with the Hubitat since I was moving away from my SmartThings platform.

Would be good to know, do you have a single ASUS router or a mesh system?
I have a single AX68U which would sometimes disconnect all my 5ghz clients at random for only a second. Its somewhat of a known issue with the chipset that router uses. All the clients usually recover except my smart TV sometimes does not reconnect and has to be rebooted. I turned off ALL the TrendMicro stuff by revoking the privacy agreement almost a month ago and it has been much better ever since then. I could possibly test my C8 on it within the next few weeks.

2 Likes

No, we are not tracking network isssues and incompatibilities because networking is such a wide field and greatly depends on individual abilities to manage their own equipment.

3 Likes

But this is a known flaw that you (support) recognizes and the community knows about it. It should be listed otherwise you're just building towards disappointment with your consumer base right? Why shouldn't you have it documented somewhere?

It’s not all ASUS networking equipment. I used to use an ASUS AiMesh system that worked fine.

I’m pretty sure that @jtp10181 uses an ASUS router (perhaps with Merlin). I think @marktheknife also used to use an ASUS router.

That's what I've been told by support or other community members. Are they running the unit Wi-Fi or jacked in? @JoeP has ASUS and it's only working on ethernet.

I have a mesh system, essentially two ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 units, one in the basement and one on the first level. I had one closer to the Hubitat but when it was running WiFi it dropped out more and I figured network interference might be at play. When I moved the AX6600 into another room the drops happen less frequently.

I'd love to hear back from your testing with the ASUS router.

During the C-8 beta test period, I had a C-8 connected to an ASUS router both hardwired and wirelessly. I gave that router to goodwill during a recent move, and I’m blanking on the model.

There were some issues during the beta with getting an IP address during wireless connection, but they were resolved very early on.

2 Likes

I worked for one of the largest consumer electronics companies and we had very similar issues - known networking equipment that could cause serious problems w/our equipment in some instances, but in other (often most) cases worked quite well.

Very hard to predict, and impossible to reliably replicate in our internal labs (and we had way more resources than HE). Completely frustrating for both customers and support alike.

3 Likes

I get that, I work for an organization that makes technology that was said to be "radio agnostic" and would work with whatever the customer had as long as it followed our networking protocols. Turns out it wasn't the case, we stopped promoting it as such because of the issues that were seen in the field. I get mistakes happen.

2 Likes

It is my personal experience, but I am known to be short on patience when it comes to making something work when it doesn't work out of the box. I may spend some time Googling for a solution, but my time is also very limited and I value more spending it with family than trying to figure out network issues in my own home.

Asus routers have a ton of settings that can be tweaked. Many people enjoy their routers' flexibility and don't have any problems. That's where this awesome community comes in to save the day, by others sharing their own experiences (and settings).

1 Like

I'm currently using an ASUS RT-AX86U running Merlin 3004.388.4. I will note that I have not received any communication from Hubitat that states there is an incompatibility with ASUS routers. I have dozens of WiFi devices from many manufacturers running perfectly on my network. My network is running without issue and without any unusual customization or any proprietary features.

I have never had nor heard of a device that is incompatible with whole brand. That is frankly, nonsense. There can exist issues with a particular firmware, a bug or non-standard implementation of a standard, a hardware issue with a particular model, etc. ASUS and every major brand out there use a wide range of SoC's, MMU's, bridges, transceivers, etc. One uses Broadcom, the next uses Qualcomm or whatever new silicon they could get. Each model can be significantly different than others in the same line from the same brand.

I see Hubitat and Ambassadors willing to blame this bulb, that switch, this cable, that power supply, bad sensors, integrations, bad rules, random undefined "network issues", etc.... Soon they will blame sunspots or bad karma.

The appearance is of a company without a solution, randomly flailing about to try and blame someone or something else. Not a good look, not a way to build a successful long term business.

I don't believe anyone from HE or community members have said that...if it came across that way then it was a misunderstanding. I haven't followed it closely as I don't run Asus, but evidently there have been enough issues w/some Asus routers in the past that they "stood out" in a not so good way. Like my haircut in fifth grade. :wink:

HE and community members who help w/troubleshooting try to start w/the most common issues, which typically are devices that may be too chatty, have known behaviors that can cause issues, or apps/LAN integrations, etc., that may not be playing nicely. Unless there is a known issue w/the hub, ruling device/app/integration issues out first seems like the logical process.

There is a ton of variation in folks' setups - routers/switches, hub power sources, devices, drivers, apps, integrations, etc., etc. If you just say for everything "The hub doesn't work" you aren't going to have any info to solve the problem, no matter whether is specific to that person's setup, or an issue w/the hub.

3 Likes