C-8 :: Shelly not functioning. Debug guidance?

(Hope this is the proper category)

Summary

• Just migrated from a C-5 to a C-8, 2 days ago
  • Today, installed 2.3.5.105
  • Shelly 1 and Shelly 2.5 devices are not working as they did on the C-5
  • Switching them "on" using a dashboard yields the hourglass icon with the "Sending ..." text
  • Nothing is shown in the Live Logs

Of course, these devices were working as expected on the C-5 for the last 2 or 3 years.

Network is Unifi gear. Nothing changed with the network in months. The hub is not close to an AP. More than 15ft distance to the closest AP.

Interesting ... the Sonoff motion devices are able to control those lights. Perhaps this is just a dashboard issue?

Advice, or guidance on debugging the issue?

Much appreciated !!

2023-03-07_19-37-23

Check the ip on the shelly's match the ip on the hub device.

Is this a cloud dashboard (or cloud-authorized dashboard)? Can you create a new dashboard and see if the same issue persists?

Thanks @rlithgow1 , but I think the IP must be configured correctly. The Sonoffs are able to switch the Shellys on and off when motion is detected.

Or, am I missing something else you were getting at?

Cheers

Not a cloud dashboard. Accessing with a local IP, e.g. 192.168.x.x

Good debug idea.

• Create a fresh dashboard.
  • Authorize 2 Shelly "devices", which are 2 circuts on a Shelly 2.5
  • Enabled debug info on the Shelly 2.5

Results

• One circuit behaves the same. Click the dashboard tile and the hourglass is displayed. Forever.
  • The 2nd circuit ... turned it on using a tile. Turned it off using a tile then it hung displaying the hourglass.

Going back to the 1st dashboard, I can recreate the same pattern. Still no log entries.

Appreciate the suggestion! I don't think there is a difference in behavior. Thank you, @aaiyar !

Do they turn on/off via the device page itself?

Hiya @rlithgow1 , great question.

Validated a couple things on the device screen .....

• The device responds to the "on" and "off" buttons on the device screen
  • The "Current States" value does not update automagically
  • Hitting the "refresh" button causes "Current State" to update

Watching the "Live logs" ......

• The on and off events are not being displayed
  • After hitting the "refresh" button, log events are displayed
  • Using the dashboard button causes log entries to cease until hitting the "refresh" button again

Dashboard behavior .......

• Using the refresh button on the device screen does not update the dashboard and remove the hourglass
  • When using the dashboard button to generate events log entries are not created
  • Turn the device on, hourglass displayed. Click the button with the hourglass and the device turns off. Then the device with hourglass is frozen and no longer responds.
  • A browser refresh clears the hourglass on the device buttons

This smells like a dashboard issue?

• The devices respond appropriately in the device screen.
  • Automations control the devices as expected.

Thanks you!

Any other ideas out there??? :slight_smile:

To verify proper Shelly function I’ve also connected directly to each Shelly. Load their page in the browser.

• Validate that I could authenticate with user and PNW.
  • Validate that each device functioned as expected; on, off, current usage being reported, etc

Also examined each device in HE and reset the device WP to assure the HE could connect. I think this was unnecessary since the automations are functioning properly which should indicate that it connects with the device successfully.

Still having the same problems on the HE dashboards. The tiles “freeze” displaying the hourglass. No change in behavior from my original message. Doh!

Am I the Lone Ranger on this one? :slight_smile: Only happening to me?

How else could I debug? Sure smells like a HE dashboard issue at this point since all the lower level functions work i.e. HE “Devices” workflow, Shelly web interface.

Last night ..... updated the platform version. Shelly switches appear to operate correctly. No longer seeing the hourglass displayed after 2 clicks on a tile on a dashboard.

My conclusion ..... there was a bug somewhere in the dashboard section of HE. Seems to be resolved in this new version.

2023-03-27_07-03-07

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.