C-8 Pro

It is unfortunate as I use Ubiquiti. It is definitely an odd issue.

I can imagine the HE team leaning back and saying "Well the expected shxt storm has kicked off". :rofl:

9 Likes

I hope they're more like, "Oh, ■■■■, how did we forget the comparison matrix? It would be very useful indeed!"

5 Likes

The list price on the new hub is only $10 more than the list price of non-pro

But does it have mounting holes in the chassis?

1 Like

I'm starting to overload my C-7 and have been thinking of getting a C-8 to extend the coverage anyway... So just ordered the C-8 Pro. Hopefully this will help fix some of my Zigbee coverage across the house. I'll mesh the two hubs.

No, but it's plastic, so they (holes) are just a few whacks away...

5 Likes

No change in Hub Protect costs that I've heard/seen. I don't run HE, I just poke them and act like I do, but I see no reason for any change as what's stored and the functionality of Hub protect on a C8-Pro is exactly the same.

I have been using PoE Splitters on all of my Hubitat, Hue, and Lutron hubs for years. Some folks have reported issues using Z-Wave on the C-8 (non-Pro) hub when using a PoE splitter. My home is 99.9% Z-Wave free, so I am not a great person to confirm or deny these issues. I have paired a Z-Wave switch to my C-8 that is powered via the following splitter, and it worked fine for a quick test. YMMV of course.

Amazon.com: UCTRONICS PoE Splitter USB-C 5V - Active PoE to USB-C Adapter, IEEE 802.3af Compliant for Raspberry Pi 4, Google WiFi, Security Cameras, and More : Electronics

3 Likes

No one can answer that. All the new hub has is faster CPU and 2x the memory. No other new features or capabilities have been announced.

Whether the improved specs are worth upgrading or not is subjective/user dependent.

Not sure it is much of a "matrix". it is literally just two items, 2x memory, faster cpu.

Don't get me wrong, more memory makes it worth it to me...

WAS JUST COMING HERE WITH THE SAME SCREENSHOT AND COMMENT !!!

So neither of us are likely marketing geniuses but if even two of us had the same exact thought....then there's probably good cause to make an improvement in that Pro description.

and/or

2 Likes

It's strictly a Unifi issue as far as I remember...if your hub is connected to a Unifi switch the POE issues can/will arise. I use POE w/a non-Unifi switch connected to an EdgeRouter and have zero issues.

1 Like

I am using UniFi switches exclusively. I have never had an issue using PoE splitters for my C3, C4, C5, C7, and C8 hubs. I just ordered another PoE splitter for the C8-Pro that I just ordered! :wink:

4 Likes

@lairdknox , Please elaborate of this radio interference, is that only when powering the hub through adapters via Ubiquiti? Or do you mean that any Ubiquiti PoE on other devices (e.g. cameras) can interfere?

Jessica Simpson... I don't what all that stuff is... but I want it! LOL

1 Like

This is from Amazon's website for the C-8 Pro

13 Likes

You are one of the lucky ones (or those w/the issue are the unlucky ones)...but the issue was seen repeatedly after the C8 was released, and removing POE resolved it. I didn't pay a ton of attention as my C8 wasn't on a Unifi switch... :man_shrugging: :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is the hypothesis. Some users have reported that removing a UniFi PoE Switch connected PoE Splitter, has resolved issues on their C8 (non Pro) hubs. For others, it is not an issue. :man_shrugging:

I have never heard anyone state that nearby PoE splitter powered devices has interfered with their C8 (non Pro) hubs.

I have 6 PoE powered devices ( C8, C7, C7, Lutron SmartBridge Pro, Philips Hue bridge, and Home Assistant Yellow PoE) all sitting within 2 feet of each other, 5 of which are using UCTRONICS PoE splitters (some microUSB, some USB-C) attached to my UniFi Lite 16 PoE switch. I have never had any issues with any of the devices. I have used the Z-Wave in the C7, C8, and HA Yellow without any immediate issues (although my use of Z-Wave is minimal.) I do use a bunch of Zigbee devices and have never had any issues.

1 Like

I wonder whether the extra cpu power & memory would allow the HPM version of webcore to install?

After the network switch update here along with the HomeLab rack if the wife sees another piece of hardware, she will probably throw me away. My finger was hovering over the purchase button until I saw what my life may look like after the purchase.

2 Likes