C-8 Pro Initial Impressions

Just got my C-8 Pro successfully installed and wanted to share some impressions. I was coming from a C-5 which has same CPU\memory specs as the C-7.

The areas I noticed immediate improvement are:

1. LAN connected devices. I have quite a few Tasmota devices and I notice a big improvement in responsiveness of these devices when initiating action on the Tasmota device from the hub\dashboard.
  2. Z-Wave Range. I had two z-Wave devices that would rarely connect because of distance and were essentially orphaned. I bought the C-8 Pro mainly to fix this problem vs investing in Z-Wave repeaters and I was not disappointed. Instant access and fast response. For context the two troublesome devices are both around 30ft from the hub (which is below ground level) and 1-2 two floors up, so there were significant obstacles.
  3. UI Responsiveness. The C-5 was not bad on a good day, but this is noticeably faster moving screen to screen.
  4. I do quite a bit of app\driver development so I'm frequently saving large files. I don't have any stats but I'd guess it's about 40% faster. I had hoped the Pro would have the gigabit ethernet but from what I've read it's only 100Mb. This is probably one of the few use cases where this would make a difference.
  5. Hub stats. My C-5 was consistently in the 10-20% utilization. The same configuration on the C-8 Pro has a utilization of 0.6% for devices and 2.9% for apps.
  6. Memory. This was never something that I had trouble with on the C-5. But it is nice to see all that memory there if I need it.
    A bit like that feeling of having a full tank of gas.

Do I need a C-8 Pro? No. Do I want a C-8 Pro? Hell YES!

I had a few issues with the migration but overall very happy with my purchase.

16 Likes

IIRC you had some difficulty at first or am I mixing you up with another user?

No, you are correct. See a separate thread on c-8 and zigbee from a few days ago.

1 Like

One last piece of feedback on this topic is that it has been a great improvement in the coding process. A 3,000 line app takes 8-10 seconds to save on my C-5\C-7 and only 4 seconds to save on my C-8 Pro. This is a huge improvement in productivity.

Now I'm changing my earlier statement. I really do need a C-8 Pro and if you are doing a lot of development you probably need it too.

6 Likes

Just normal use is way faster​:smiley::+1:

I just ordered mine, I’m looking forward to having all my automations and integrations on the one hub again. My second hub can go back to being an emergency backup unit / dev hub.