[C-7] Zwave radio suddenly stop working after zwave radio firmware update

Same. So I suspect there is some runaway app/driver that is causing the z-wave radio to turn off. Usually the zigbee radio turns off first. @IWiyanto - do you have any zigbee devices, and are they still working.

All the zigbee devices are alive and well. Only the zwave devices are down.
@aaiyar, following your advice, I managed to get to log. Here is a snippet from yesterday around the time it went down.
Also do you mind telling me how to cut and paste the log as a screenshot?
Sorry I am a noob.

You already have cut and paste it as a screenshot.

Still recommending you keep a live log going. So the very first messages when the radio stops working are available for support.

Will do.
Can you please tell me what to watch out for (e.g. the message)?

1 Like

Yes, if devices work sporadically the radio is usually fine. I have seen this erratic behavior when some devices within the mesh are going bad. If you could send me a private message I can check your hub's engineering logs to make sure you are not dealing with a hardware malfunction.

2 Likes

@bobbyD (support) has responded to you. Be sure to PM him as requested!

1 Like

I have DM him. Waiting for response now.

1 Like

Got it, thanks. I'll look at your hub in the morning. Meanwhile could you please check those devices listed on the Z-Wave Details table with 9.6kbps on the Route column to make sure they are working properly?

They appear at the edge of your mesh, at best, or may not be working at all. Four dead repeaters in a mesh could result in a frozen mesh.

1 Like

thanks @bobbyD
I have checked all 4 and they work fine. Managed to digitally turn on/off.
Screen shot of the lights I tested is below.
Let me know if I get it wrong.

2 Likes

@bobbyD can you please confirm that the zwave radio is still good after you looked at it? Thanks

Please see my message.

1 Like

Is that all your Z-Wave devices?

Do you have any Z-wave battery powered devices, like a thermostat?

Only have 1 battery powered trisensor Aeotec and 3 yale locks. The rest are aeotec light switches spread across the house.

Turn off power reporting on them, that may be overwhelming your mesh

3 Likes

Bobbyd suggested the same thing.

How do I reduce the power reporting? Most of the zwave are light switches. Do you mean the device preference : Meter Reporting Interval ?

2 Likes

yes.. Turn it all off. Too much power reporting will crash it everytime

4 Likes

To add to the above, this document contains some examples of the preferences you might be looking for:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Troubleshoot_Z-Wave#Power_metering.2C_energy_monitoring.2C_etc.

As noted, this will vary by device (and I'm not familiar with your specific device), but those are a couple examples. The rest of that document might be helpful, too, but it seems like this particular issue is most likely to be of concern for your network. Good luck!

5 Likes

What driver are your switches using?

All relevant Aoetec drivers from Hubitat.