C-7 to C-8 worse off

I've seen a number of posts about people getting rid of ghosts pre-migration and then ghosts showing up after migration but not really about ghosts upon migration (maybe I just missed them - though I did search the topics first). I did not have any ghosts pre-migration and all of the below were working fine:

I followed the steps in the 2 YouTube videos to backup my C7 to the cloud (it was on 2.3.5.125 when I did the migration today, April 22, 2023) and after registering the C8 and restoring from the cloud I immediately upgraded the firmware to 2,3.5.125 (it shipped with 2.3.4.128).
It all seemed to go well, but now I have 8 Z-Wave ghosts.

4 of them are all of my "buttons": 3 Fibaro Key Fobs and an Aeotec NanoMote Quad
3 of them have series 7 chips: 2 Aeotec Range Extender 7's and my Inovelli Kitchen Light Strip
1 of them is an Inovelli Red Dimmer that is in the same room as the hub (which is the same room the C7 was in)

Should I try to use them or just wait to see if they appear or what?

Thanks.

Here is a screen shot of my ghosts:

What makes you believe they are ghosts?

3 Likes

The lack of a route doesn't mean it's a ghost. It simply means the device hasn't communicated with the hub since the last reboot power-cycle/radio-restart.

4 Likes

Those aren't ghosts. One thing you can do is simply shut down the hub from the settings menu, unplug power to the hub for a couple of mins and power back up. Routes should establish themselves a bit quicker.

2 Likes

I tried 3 of the 4 Key Fobs (on is my daughters and I don't know where she put it) and they all worked - and very quickly.

For the Light Strip I don't have a physical button but used the mobile app. It worked but I'm seeing lots of errors in the logs.

For the 2 Aeotec Range Extenders I pushed the Refresh button inside them off the Devices page.

I'm now seeing speeds for everything except the Palm Room Fibaro Key Fob, but that is the one I don't know where it is. So, for now looks good. I'll keep an eye on the logs to see if the errors go away.

1 Like

While some things seem to be responding much quicker with the C8, after letting it settle in overnight I've found that I have a significantly higher number of items connecting slower, and in some cases much slower. (Sorry, but I can't get it to format correctly. I think it is removing the spaces I'm using to try to separate the columns)

C-7 C-8
100 39 32
40 3 5
9.6 7 12

Of course, I'll let it sit a while more to settle in, but not what I was expecting.

Post your current z-wave details page with the columns now that stuff is starting to populate...

Here is the comparison table:

Here is just the C-8 with all its information:

BTW, I tried to upload the Excel spreadsheet or it as a PDF, but it seems I can't do that. So instead of trying to do a series of screenshots I printed the 2nd one to a PDF telling Excel to make it fit on one page. I hope you can enlarge it enough so it is readable.

BTW. I live on the top floor of a 4 story condo in the SW corner of the building. My condo is a rectangle with the long axis running north to south. I have the C-8 where the C-7 was, on top of a (mostly) wooden hutch. I have the green light pointing south, as I did with the C-7, so the antennas are aligned north to south. Does it matter which direction they are pointing? (i.e. should I rotate the hub 45 or 90 degrees?)

I had one zwave+ that connected at 9.6 kbps, and two others that connected at 40 kbps. All via routers. I ended up excluding/re-including them. They're all connected directly at 100 kbps now. I tried repairing them a few times - that didn't work.

One of the big reasons I upgraded is that I'm using virtually all Inovelli Red Dimmers and I couldn't get a lot of them to upgrade the Firmware (using either the app or the driver method). So I'm extremely leery about excluding them and then trying to re-include them.

Can you post the actual z-wave details screen? It's easier for me to read...

You definitely have some high route changes. Do me a favor, physically swap antennas (this checks if one of your antennas are bad)

Where is the unit located in your house (one side or centrally).

Are the antennas oriented up/down or side to side?

1 Like

I swapped then antennas just now (6:20 am, EST).

I live on the top floor of a 4 story condo in the SW corner of the building. My condo is a rectangle with the long axis running north to south. I have the C-8 where the C-7 was, on top of a (mostly) wooden hutch that is about 7 fee tall, I'd guess, I have the green light pointing south, as I did with the C-7, so the antennas are aligned north to south and are sticking straight up. Does it matter which direction they are pointing? (i.e. should I rotate the hub 45 or 90 degrees?)

You want the antennas vertical (up or down doesn't matter). Now that you switched the antennas shutdown the hub from the settings menu and unplug for 5 mins and power backup and let things settle.

Will do. Just BTW, it was actually worse this morning with only 29 at 100, 4 at 40 and 16 at 9.6.

I'm not knowledgeable at all about this, but isn't S0 security something frowned on?

Those were some items I couldn't control the security as I wasn't given an option when they paired like a bulb or the key fobs and front door lock.

I gracefully shutdown the hub and pulled the power from the plug side, not the hub side, for just over 6 minutes and then plugged it back in.

How long should it normally be before I would start to see changes?

Just to get a benchmark I put my Z-Wave table into my Excel spreadsheet and see that the 100, 40, 9.6 speeds have improved to 32, 3, 14 vs. the 29, 4, 16 it was just before the antenna swap and hub reboot (with 6 minute power off time). But, I know it needs to settle in (and hopefully not get worse. :slight_smile:) I'll report in either later tonight and/or tomorrow.

5 mins is more than enough time... (really it's less than that by I tend to err on the side of caution)

Let it settle a few days and see how things pan out and post your z-wave details page again then...