C-7 Hub backup file saved as .crdownload file

I've been doing regular hub local backups, saving the files to my laptop, off the hub. These are per the instructions on the documentation site.

When I download & save the file, it's named something like "Unconfirmed 898811.crdownload"
and about 3MB in size.
I've never needed to restore a backup, so I never verified the backup can actually be restored.

Until today. The "crdownload" filetype is not recognized as a valid backup file.
Good thing I never needed to use it.
The local backup, saved on the hub, did just fine restoring.

Somethings wrong here. Maybe it's me not doing something properly, or maybe an issue w/ latest release, in my case it's the newest Platform version 2.3.8.122.

Ideas?

Itโ€™s a Chrome issue, it doesnโ€™t recognize the file type and wants you to confirm that you wish to download.

1 Like

Thks thebearmay. So how do I rectify this? Yes, I'm using chrome.
Is it as simple as renaming the downloaded backup file to something else, including the filetype extension? If so, what should the filetype be?

Chrome should give you a brief message when it is downloading that if you click on it will let you mark it as safe and he it will download properly.

Nope. Just downloads it in the download folder w the name I listed.

Hmmmm. Under the Chrome Settings, Privacy and Security, make sure that Safe Browsing is set to Standard.

1 Like

I also want to just note to you that local backups DO NOT backup the z-wave and zigbee radio databases. If you have a failure you will have to manually add those devices back to hubitat (or your new hub). Zigbee will slot back into their old spot but a reset and re pair will be necessary on all your z-wave devices.

If you haven't gotten one, I recommend a Hub Protect subscription which will backup both the zigbee and z-wave database so you can do a full restore in case of full failure.

1 Like

Thanks Rick! I just subscribe, based on your advise.
I've got 150+ devices, and the time invested is well worth the $30/yr.

Now the question I have is, are ALL, webcore pistons backed up as well?

I read that app data IS included,
but just would like positive confirmation that webcore pistons are as well.

1 Like

Pistons... yes and no. They are included in the data that is backed up, and will be restored to the hub but the editable copy is on the webCoRE server, so you need to be able to connect to the correct WC instance (normally automatic) to update them.

2 Likes

Also free hub replacement out of warranty

1 Like

This is a browser security feature that we cannot bypass. However, the fix is very easy. All you have to do is click downloads in your browser, then tell your browser you'd like to "keep" the file:

1. click "Downloads"

1. click "Keep"

3 Likes