C-5 Z Wave Plus

They were probably used devices. You will have to do a factory reset, and/or exclude them from Hubitat before you can include them.

Which exact device (please give the exact model from the tag on the back) are these? You haver thrown around a bunch of different devices and they all require different procedures. Don't go by what the listing says, or what you think they are, please verify the number.

1 Like

Aeotec DSD37-ZWUS repeater. Yea they’re def used . I knew that when purchasing . I didn’t realize This part would be an issue.

Those are Zwave (non plus) https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/752. All original zwave (non plus) devices need to be excluded (and then later included) within radio range of the hub.

I buy used zwave devices from ebay all the time and have never had a problem just doing an exclude followed by an include.

2 Likes

I choose add device I search by brands and pull up the exact model number. I hit exclude. And when the number starts counting down I tap the only button there is on the repeater. It stays solid nothing happens. I’ve tried 20 times. Am I missing something?

I would do:
Settings->Z-wave Details->Zwave Exclude

Then plug in the repeater within RF range of your hub. According to the manual, you press the button on the repeater once to exclude. Hubitat should say "1 device excluded.".

2 Likes

I don't know if it's just me or all C5's, but that procedure gave me no indication it was doing anything.

To get any feedback during the process I ended up going through the Devices > Add Device > Z-Wave > page, and clicking on the Start Z-Wave Exclusion button.

3 Likes

Maybe Settings->Z-wave Details->Exclude isn't actually functional on the C5 and earlier? A bug perhaps? I keep forgetting C7 is different. I should stop "helping" with C5 based questions! :slight_smile:

Using the Devices->Add Device->Zwave pathway to exclude something is not intuitive to me, so I've never used it under the C7.

2 Likes

I’ve excluded before with the c5. Even with the same model number just not this device

2 Likes

Nope, it works the same. Neither really give any indication when you do it that way. The other way through the ADD menu does give visual cues as to what it is doing. They both work, but I like the ADD menu method better.

2 Likes

You don't need to choose a brand and all that, you can just go to ADD device, and skip right to Zwave button in that bottom row.

How close are you when trying to include/exclude. These old devices must be within probably a foot or two of the hub to be successful. They are not like the newer devices that you can pair in place.

2 Likes

OK cool. Yeah I was more like 20 feet away lol I’ll try this when I get home from work. Now even though this was included from a different hub that I don’t own? Because I bought it used? I can still exclude it from my hub the same way I would with one of my own new devices?

For device already paired to the hub removal is generally done from the device page.. for a non-hub device you'd do the "Settings/Z-Wave Details/Z-Wave Exclude".. which is a general exclusion.

1 Like

Note that Devices > Add Device > Z-Wave > Start Z-Wave Exclusion also does a general exclusion and, for a while, had a better UI. :smiley: (By this, I mean that it would show you what it was doing without needing to keep "Logs" open to check. For a while, it was also the only way; the Z-Wave Details method was just added back.) The Settings > Z-Wave Details > Z-Wave Exclude method should have a little popup now that tells you, too--it was added when this button was added back in platform 2.3.2--though early on I had a display issue with that in at least one browser that I'm assuming has been fixed, but I'm not sure I ever verified...

Yes, this is what the "general exclusion" term we've been throwing around above means. Any hub/controller can do a general exclusion, which will remove inclusion/"pairing" information from any Z-Wave device in range that is in exclusion mode. A factory reset of the device usually would also remove this information and would work too (though I know of at least one set of devices where it doesn't, early GE/Jasco switches).

If the device is on your hub, the node-specific exclusion option is probably a better choice; this is the "Remove" button at the bottom of the device detail page (the other option the post above me mentioned). This will both make sure you have the right device and help you figure out if it's in use by any apps (automations), which it's generally a good idea to remove it from before removing the device.

4 Likes

Yeah I was originally going to mention that one as that's what I'm used to using but I really don't like the confusing UI flow from "Add Device" to "Start Z-Wave Exclusion". The settings route seems much better though maybe should be labelled "General Exclusion" or something to set more of a distinction between it and the device removal/exclusion.

OK thanks definitely gonna try this after work. Factory reset doesn’t seem to be an option. I see instructions to hold it down for 20 seconds but that’s talking about the newer model number. I’ve held it down for 60 seconds and still the light stay solid so I will try exclusion a couple feet away from the hub when I get home

1 Like

Exclude is your friend. As a rule I don't include any device (new or used) without a successful general exclude of it first.

1 Like

I searched the internet and this gem came up

The included instructions are incorrect. To include or exclude the repeater, double-tap the button.

So if a single press doesn't work, maybe try that?

And per the manual:

If your repeater has been successfully removed from the network, its light will blink. If the removal was unsuccessful, the light will not blink.

So it would appear a solid light is not getting removed from the former network.

4 Likes

I did it. I was getting frustrated, and literally plugged it into an extension cord and practically had it touching the HUB when I tried again. It excluded and included immediately.
Thank you all for your help. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yes. Z-wave devices don't support NWI. And many Z-wave+ devices don't support NWE.

3 Likes

Been a while since I replied but the extenders did the trick. Thank you all!

Quick question I hope. I just replaced the batteries in one of my locks. Everything functions perfectly fine but it still shows my battery at 30%. Do I have to do anything special to refresh it so it reads 100%?