C-4 / C-5 / C-7 Hubs - free memory decline over time

Like many others here, I too suffered from slow-downs on my C4 hub. I ended up setting a rule to just blindly reboot weekly.

Based on @brianwilson 's suggestion, I picked up a used C5 hub from a member here (thanks @aaiyar!). I did a straight swap like Brian did: Moved the radio stick over and restored from the C4 backup. Everything came up working without any changes. Even my Alexa integration continued working (perhaps because I renamed the old hub and named the new with the original name?).

I disabled the reboot rule and have been running for several days without issues. I monitor the UI response as an indicator of slowdown, and I have not seen the variability I used to see. The memory trends are a bit different, but I'll keep running without a reboot for now to see how things progress. Thanks @brianwilson for being a guinea pig on this and reporting your results.

4 Likes

That’s what I did. And all my integrations continued to work without any issues.

3 Likes

Wish I could get my hands on a C-5 as well. I am rebooting every week. :frowning:

1 Like

Another top tip for the migration thread
Mabey a migration mannul, problem with posting it gets long and hard to follow

2 Likes

How are you pulling the UI response?

It's part of a python script that parses the response time and the hubitat memory data and adds it to influxdb. Here is the relevant function (I don't recall where I sourced this from originally):

def getRespData():
    # Get response time
    url = 'http://(your hub id/name)/driver/list'
    try:
        response = requests.get(url=url, timeout=10)
    except Exception:
        print("Failed to get data")
        return -1

if response.status_code != 200:
        print("Error getting data from ", url, " Response: ",response.status_code)
        return -1

time = response.elapsed.total_seconds()

return time
1 Like

The only things that broke for me we’re things using cloud OAUTH endpoints since I believe each hub has a specific GUID associated with it. Still going strong. I’m not going to use the C4 any longer, not even for cloud integrations. It’s too risky and I spent wayyy too much time and energy trying to debug performance issues on it, with and without supports’ help, to even go back there.

formattedUptime : 23 days, 3 hrs, 46 min, 18 sec. installing the new version today so this will be it.

3 Likes

Looking for a C5 as well to replace my C4

2 Likes

FYI
So I finally rebooted my C-5 hub after running 57 days. Started receiving low memory warnings where memory was dipping into the low 70s but seemed to pop back into the 80s. Was receiving low memory warnings for about 20 hours so I made my backups and crossed my fingers on the re-boot.

In the 57 days of running the hub performed quickly with no hick-ups, even with the low memory warnings there was no degrade in performance.

3 Likes

Has anyone noticed that value being provided through the URL is different in 2.2.8?