Buying a new Security System

Ok, more questions, submitted with gratitude in advance:

1. Should I use another hub or rPi for the DSC/Envisalink/HA integration, or just native (been reading that it is too "chatty"?
  2. Is there a good step-by-step somewhere for either path?
  3. Post integration, I am assuming that, in addition to arm/disarm, etc. all my alarm devices will then show up in HE, right?

I ran envisalink on my main hub for 2 years before I split it off. I didn't want to bother with the whole rPi thing. So I'd say start there and see how it goes. A second HE is pretty inexpensive if it becomes an issue down the road.

Yes with the Vista panel. I thought I read somewhere that one of the panels only sent events when the panel was armed, which makes them less useful. But in my case they all act as virtual sensors and are available to all HE apps. Really quite handy TBH.

No. The hub has no issues handling the traffic. It is not as much as you think.

Yes you do see all the devices in Hubitat. Install Hubitat Package Manager (the only manual installation you will ever need) and then search for Envisalink Integration. Then install. It is that simple.

Make sure you know your installer code. If you buy a used panel on E-Bay make sure it is factory reset with the default installer code.

The primary reason you need a second hub is to separate a large Z-wave installation. Other then that one hub has always worked for me; even on hug installations.

This community is SO helpful. Thank you. (Now reading back through Wired Security System/DSC or Honeywell+Envisalink Start Up Help to try and decide between DSC 1832/64 or Honeywell Vista 20/21.)

Thanks all!

1 Like

@jeff11 to give you some specifics... I ran for 2 years with envisalink and everything else on my one hub. About 6 months ago I split Envisalink off on a separate hub because the primary hub was getting pretty busy. This hub hosts Envisalink plus all the other rules related to security, outdoor lights, etc. Here's what the load looks like for the app... it's consuming most of the CPU being used but overall the CPU is running pretty light, so no real worries.

Same thing on the device side

1 Like

This is all very helpful. Thank you!

I have installed many Envisalink/DSC 1864s and have not had an issue with a single hub with the exception of a hub that used a lot of Z-wave. I ended up replacing the Z-wave with Caseta and one hub worked fine.

I am going to have to look at my Ecobee but the Evislalink uses on 11% CPU. This hub has well over 100 devices Caseta, Zigbee and a small amount of Z-wave on top of a very active security system.

My suggestion is to set it up with one hub and only if you have an issue use two mesh hubs. It is great that Hubitat gives you that option.

1 Like

If you are choosing a lighting solution my recommendation in this order

1. Caseta. Extremely low load. Requires Lutron Hub PRO <<<super reliable
  2. Zigbee . Low load and reliable. Stick to major brand switches like Enbrighten Zigbee
    3)Z-wave. High load. Use only if necessary and do not choose security when adding devices.

I am mostly Z-wave (about 40 devices). Looking back, and after a lot of reading, I think I would have done a mix--sort of like @lewis.heidrick recommends: Zigbee outlets and locks; and Z-wave lights and switches (along with his antenna mod and I don't use security, as you recommend, other than locks, etc.). While I do see a lot who love Lutron as you've said, I have no experience with that. Maybe with that much Z-wave I should start out my EnvisaLink integration with a 2nd hub.

1 Like

I have done large Z-wave installations. One with 72 switches. I keep the hub as close to the center as possible, I added every device WITHOUT security and run 'Repair Z-wave network' after every change no matter how small.

Interesting hearing everyone’s zwave experience. I run a large zwave network, with 40+ light switches, 15+ leak sensors, 5-6 outlets, to name a few (I count 68 zooz devices), as well as lots of custom apps and drivers. Never had a single zwave issue with my C5 hub and all devices very responsive. Never had to run zwave repair. Been about 2-3 years. Maybe I’m just naive tho….

2 Likes

From what I've read the ZWave 700 stack had some serious issues in its earlier versions. Since the last two zwave firmware updates though it seems like things have improved a lot.

2 Likes

I think I like the 500 series radio better. I think it is the new 700 series security that is causing the issues. Just my thoughts?

That makes a lot of sense.

I don't know how they work without the antenna mod but before the antenna mod zigbee devices would sometimes fall off the mesh. Really annoying for light automations which is why I went with ZWave for the lights.

2 Likes

The antenna mod is the way to go for Z-wave. My experience is Zigbee does well with repeating. Also I find that single hop Z-wave also does very well.

1 Like