Button Controller

So I have two Samsung buttons that were originally in button controller and then moved to rules and then put back in button controller. I don't care if the rule UI is the same, but using button controller I can more easily read my decent length list of rules and things are more organized by splitting them out. I actually moved a couple of rules into the simplified automation that recently became available just for more organization / clarity.

These two buttons are have always been very similar
den - single - toggle overhead (Enerwave RSM1-PLUS)
den - hold - toggle stairs (Enerwave RSM1-PLUS)
den - double - toggle lamps (peanut - using generic zigbee outlet driver - it is FLASHED for power but not using)

It has always worked perfectly.

kitchen - single - toggle spider light (Enerwave RSM1-PLUS)
kitchen - hold - toggle dining room light (Enerwave RSM1-PLUS)
kitchen - double - toggle sink light (peanut using generic zigbee outlet driver - it is FLASHED for power but not using)

I have no idea why prior owners switched out a light fixture with a plug, but it works ok for me to use a led workshop style bar light hidden by the trim.

The spider is 8 ultra high brightness daylight leds with a pseudo edison styling. It lights the whole works space great. However our eldest has migraines fairly often and so far the neuro hasn't found a workaround fix. He can't handle the spider and turns it off and replaces it with the dining room light when it's dinner time. If we start cleaning before he is done we can't use the spider so we have to use the sink (too far to dining room light over table). Up until around a month or month and a half it all worked fine. However now I can turn on the sink light, but it won't turn off. The events log, it just doesn't turn off. It isn't the peanut style plug or its drivers since the den equivalent works great. Also we can ask google to turn it off just fine. I've removed and readded both the outlet and the button and the problem persisted.

Today I played around with the two using my iPad (handheld instead of my usual PC checks) to check different aspects and finally noticed that in the kitchen the generic zigbee outlet doesn't update to show it's on. I went into the rule and added a manual custom action of refresh() to the button and it all works now.

Why do I need this refresh? It worries me that the hub isn't updating that when it turns on the outlet. Why does it work find for the den, but not the kitchen? Is there some special edge case that I've hit where on and update status isn't all or nothing protected (semaphore)?

Generally when something isn't updating, there is a mesh challenge of some sort. All rooms and environments were not created equal. Might I ask if you have a repeater that can be moved to test this? In zigbee details and see what you can find out there.

If you're using actual peanuts, there is a post iterating the issues with them. I suggest searching for "the great peanut panic of 2020".
Also, it could literally be one of your devices repeating poorly. Could you list your zigbee devices?
I would start there.

Actual Peanut plugs - flashed to latest firmware with cheap router flashed with Almond firmware
Deck String Lights
Den Lamps
Front Yard Lights
My Nightstand Lamp
Kitchen Sink Light
Plant Rack Light
Sacred Tree [this is an inside joke]
Seasonal - currently not in use
Wife’s Nightstand Lamp
Treadmill

leakSmart Sensors
Basement water
Kitchen Sink water
Master Sink water
Master Toilet water
Refrigerator water
Utility Sink water
Utility Toilet water
Washer water
Water Heater water

leakSmart Water Valve
Water Cutoff Valve

Samsung Zigbee Button
Den Switch
Kitchen Switch

Sengled Element Classics
Master Bath Vanity 3
Utility Bath Closet [litter boxes]
Utility Bath Laundry
Utility Bath Vanity 3

Hue Products - connected to Hue bridge not Hubitat
Master Bedroom Overheads 8 white ambiance
Utility Bathroom Overhead 3 white ambiance
Eldest Bedroom Overhead 3 color ambiance (to see if certain colors didn't bother his migraines as much)

edit: misspelled Samsung

Well, that's a nice list, but I was more interested in what brand they are and what are mains powered versus battery powered.
Latest firmware or not, the peanuts are suspect as a cause for instability. 1 or two won't matter, but how many do you have?

Ummm, the brand is the first line in each list?

Battery
both Samsung buttons
all leakSmart Sensors

Mains
All sengeled element classics
leakSmart water cutoff value (with battery backup)
all peanut plugs

So in other words the only repeaters you have are peanuts? how many peanut plugs are you talking?

As the list shows all in in use except the season so around 9. Is it certain that the water sensors and bulbs aren't repeaters?

Given that I will never spend any money on Aeotech (wallswipe fiasco cost me extra money and huge amounts of WAF) products what are the best repeaters or repeating switches)

edit: confirmed with senegled pages that bulbs don't repeat
edit: it doesn't appear that sensors repeat either..... (fixed: spelling) (added: question)

I would suggest checking out these posts. 9 peanut plugs could be causing your issue.

If you go to
http://[insertyourhubip]/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo
You will be able to see your peanuts changing routes for no reason. this causes instability in your mesh, which causes poor communication. Adding to the issue that you don't really have anything else that is repeating reliably in you mesh. Until you could show that your mesh is not affected by this, I would point you in that direction.
[EDIT]
The page does not auto refresh, so to view the mesh activity, you will need to refresh the page every 10 or so seconds. Keep in mind that this page does not give the whole picture of what is happening with your zigbee devices.

I spun new windows so I could compare and it was obviously switching around. Ok. thanks

Guess it's time to order from Ikea :wink:

Thank you!

1 Like

Please do a quick search here to help you along the way with your decision. Each device has challenges. I wouldn't want you to spend a ton of money on more plugs to experience a new problem. Some repeaters work better with certain devices. Post your findings and questions here and someone will usually weigh in on them for guidance.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.