Button controller - button held raise/lower dimmer

I had a older version of button controller I used with a pico for the bedroom light.

In the old app I was able to hold a button to raise the dimmer and it would stop there soon as I let go.

I can't figure out how to get the same behavior in button controller 5.1.

It'll keep raising or lowering until all the way up or down.

The only other thing I can think is I need an extra rule for button released to stop raising/lowering. But that seems like overkill because it'll register a button released even on a short press, not held.

The docs demonstrate one way this can be done:

https://docs2.hubitat.com/en/apps/button-controllers/button-controller-5-1#configuring-held-and-released-actions

Basically, you'll need the "Start raising/lowering" action for one button event and the "Stop changing" action for another. Which events will depend on your specific button device. Often this is a hold and release or sometimes push and release. It sounds like you're using a Pico. For the Fast Poco driver you'd need the latter. For the "regular" Pico, the former. If both of your rules use Picos and you like the old rule, it should be possible to create a new rule that does the same in the current version as long as you have the right driver and find the right button events to automate.

3 Likes

There's a community app dimmer button controller that is great for working with dimmers. You can set that up very easily.

2 Likes

I guess my gut was right, this is what I needed.

I was just afraid the release action would have issues with the pressed action. But seems to work as I was hoping for..

Normally a device only triggers a released event after a held event. A quick click of a button only sends "pushed" and not released.

2 Likes

I don't know how, but I never realized this..

1 Like