Built in "Z-Wave Generic Dimmer" vs "ZWave Generic Smart Dimmer"

What functionality differences are there between a "Z-Wave Generic Dimmer" vs "ZWave Generic Smart Dimmer"?

I have a bunch of Leviton plug in dimmer modules (CFL LED). On original paring they were sensed as Leviton Fan Module. This was OK until I wanted to group some lights then of course I found I could not group a "fan".
So I need to pick another and the two above seem to be the best choices. However my curiosity drives me to want to know the differences.

Thanks
John

The one main difference that I am aware of that the "Smart" Dimmer expects to be properly updated by the device of any change in status via a z-wave response.

The non "Smart" driver sets the status for the device when issuing the z-wave command, without waiting for a z-wave response.

The Z-Wave Plus devices do a much better job of reporting their status versus the older devices. Thus, the newer devices should use the "Smart" versions.

I am sure @mike.maxwell can explain the differences in more detail...

Mike has an explanation (spanning 8 or so responses :slight_smile: ) over here:

Zwave smart switch and dimmer fingerprints

His explanation seems similar to me. :slight_smile:

The part about no poll available in the "smart" drivers is interesting and why that's intentional.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.