Buggy Hue dimmer switch when pressing buttons in quick succession

Hi all!

I've ran into a bit of a problem with the use of the Hue dimmer switch directly paired to HE.
To be clear, I'm based in the EU and I'm using the following Hue dimmer switch: Philips Hue Dimmer Switch kopen?

I previously paired the switch directly to the hue bridge (to which the lamps it is controlling are connected) but was running into some issues where HE wasn't updated on the current state of the lamps when turned off or on by the dimmer hooked up directly to the hue bridge.

I therefore decided to connect the dimmer directly to the Hubitat bridge. On and off buttons are working as expected since I only use those buttons to turn the relevant lamps on and off,

The issue is with the two up and down dimming buttons. Single presses are registered fine, however when pressing those buttons multiple consequetive times, only the last press is registered.
This of course results in the users smashing the dim button and only when they give up, a small change in brightness of the relevant lamps takes place. The only solution seems to be to allow a large amount of time between presses, which of course is not ideal...

I've enabled debug logging and I clearly see the press messages for every press coming into the HE currectly, the driver however does not seem to register these messages as individual presses, only once you stop pressing the button do I see "Hue button is pressed' message appear in the log for the device.

Anyone ran into this issue and perhaps has a fix?

This is because the Hue bridge did not push events, but instead had to be polled for changes that happened outside of HE. The new Hue api (which I think is still in beta) is able to push events, and if you search the community you will find a couple community Hue integrations that take advantage of this new functionality. Then you can just use the Hue dimmers on the Hue bridge.

The thing is, i've tried a couple other hue integrations already (cocohue, advanced hue bridge integration), all gave me different issues such as colours not being correctly displayed after a command or a certain wireless plug that is connected to my hue bridge not being correctly adressed so thats less of an option for me.

This seems to be some sort of bug in the way the hue dimmer driver translates the individual button presses it receives..

As the author of one of those, I would be interested in troubleshooting the issues with you if you are. :slight_smile: That being said, the Hue Dimmer won't work right now (working on it with Hue's v2 API, so maybe soon). And I don't think Hubitat's built-in integration supports the Hue plug (or any) at all, unless they silently changed something recently or you use a workaround like a group, so that would be an issue with the built-in integration, too...

But back to your issue, how quick are these presses? I haven't used one paired to Hubitat in a few years (it sounds nice, but I went with other button devices that work great, and the Hue Dimmer meets my needs when paired directly just to Hue). But I did recently try one on Zigbee2MQTT and noticed that it didn't like successive button presses too quickly in a row, whether the same button or different ones. I just had a small test network there so chalked it up to possible issues in that regard, and I don't think I've ever noticed this on Hue, but there could be something with the device itself, at least on a ZHA network. But these were maybe sub-second re-presses, so if yours take a really long time, that definitely seems odd (not that this doesn't, just that I've seen it elsewhere).

Wow great, I'm thankfull for any help! Which one are you the author of? I'll need to check whether I'm still getting the same issue on that integration.

Indeed, i set it up through a group.

I'd say sub second presses, lets say I have each press set up to change the level by 10% and I know I want to change the level by 30%, I'd give it 3 quick presses. The device behaviour was perfect when directly connected to the Hue bridge. The strange thing is, when i enable debug logging and i press the button a couple of times, I do see the button presses come in without any delay into the hub, the message is very clearly received before I even have time to press the button again. The hubitat driver however does not seem to parse that button press message into a ' button was pressed' event in the log untill I don't press it four about a second. You would expect every one of those button press events it clearly receives from the dimmer, to be immediately translated into a ' button was pressed event'.

Looking at this log btw indicates that I pressed the button 4 times in about a second:

This one is mine: [RELEASE] CoCoHue: Hue Bridge Integration (including scenes!)

That being said, I think the other one you mentioned can already do button devices, and I'm sure its author would be equally interested in helping with whatever issues you have. Posting in the thread for the release is probably the best way to get assistance with either of these.

The only other issue I can think of with your buttons on Hubitat is that I'm not sure how their driver was written and if it waits for a "release" event to generate a "push," which it might if it needs to distinguish pushes from holds. But it's been too long since I've used that on Hubitat to remember...and I'm still not sure it would explain your problem.

I think he was more concerned about getting instant updates when lights were changed from outside of HE, rather than using the buttons on HE. I could have misinterpreted though.

Is this with Hue lights?
I’ve been using CoCoHue since version 1 and have two Hue bridges set up with it. I’ve never had any show stopping problems, even running the beta code. @bertabcd1234 is very helpful in the community as well. I can’t speak to the other integration as I haven’t used it, but the author is also active on here.

I just remember having to rejoin them more often than I would like considering I don’t have to do this for anything else. I have noticed that they will occasionally lose connection with the Hue bridge as well, but reconnect without any intervention. Some kind of Hue Magic.

If you pair the device that tells the light to turn on or off, directly to HE, HE will update the state of the lights immediately. If you pair the controller to the hue bridge, HE however only knows the lights have changed states after it polls the hue bridge. For the same reason I'm first passing my hue bridge lights to HE and then using the google home integration to share the lights to google home. If I share them directly through the Hue bridge, HE doesn't know what a google home command turns a light off or on.

If I could therefore get the dimmer working properly on HE, I shouldn't have an incorrect state for lights in HE anymore:)

The colour lights are from Innr, not Hue. I've also got a gledopto ledstrip controller hooked up to the hue bridge. You think this might be the problem?

The CoCoHue beta has implemented “push”, so lights update immediately.
One of my rooms has lights on Hue and Hubitat. The Mirror Me app keeps them in sync beautifully now.

Just tried the CoCoHue integration again, colours seem to be working correctly now!
Did your integration also support buttons passed through the Hue Hub? If so, I might switch back to your integration at some point.

I think @bertabcd1234 is planning to implement this. I’m sure he will let us know how it’s coming along.

1 Like

Would be great, another reason I wanted the controller on HE is that I want to use it to also control a few plugs and switches which are not on the Hue Bridge (and also are not compatible with Hue). So I either need the button to pass through from the Hue hub or to habe the button directly on HE.