Bug in the 3rd reality zigbee temp humidity not honoring reporting parameters

Have you tried changing the percentage for RH?
Temp, on mine seems to be every 6 minutes or so, no matter what, even disabled.
But, I haven't gotten a reading yet on RH for an hour or so.
I'll move it upstairs and see if I get an RH reading with it set on disabled.

Yep, that got 'er going:

Here's temp. Movin' on up.
Bear in mind, both are supposed to be disabled.

I just tried that.
I tried changing both min and max reporting intervals to 300 seconds.
I left the minimum value change at the default.
It seemed to 'take'.
Went back to the system generic device.
Didn't work.
I'll try changing the values and see what happens.

A lot of same origin sensors will acknowledge the reporting configuration Zigbee commands, but actually will do nothing. The reporting intervals are simply hardcoded in the firmware.

1 Like

Yes, i revisited and got a lot of TIMEOUT! s. Not a good sign.

I haven't had good luck with the Hue motion, as far as reporting intervals and thresholds. Better luck, though, with z- wave.

Interesting. I am using an older Smartthings multisensor to measure temperature in my garage freezer that stays at minus 20 F. That is far colder than a wine cooler. The device uses CR2450 coin cells. The battery life indicator plummets shortly after putting the device in the freezer, but the device continues to communicate with the hub for about six months before the battery needs replacement. I just need to watch to make sure the device does not drop off the mesh.

I suspect your opinion of coin cell batteries in cold temperatures is more related to prediction of battery life than it is actual battery life. Lithium batteries are usually better than standard alkaline batteries at cold temperatures. The discharge curve of lithium batteries makes prediction of useful life difficult, especially at colder temperatures. Since the battery voltage declines smoothly for alkaline batteries, it is far easier to predict useful life.

Since wine is normally stored at temperatures between 50-60F, the battery life of a coin cell battery should be greater than in a freezer. Thus, you might want to try one of the Tuya devices to see if it works better for you than the Third Reality device.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.