Bug? Amazon Echo (Skill/App) 2.2.8.133

I had been using the Amazon Alexa App on my hubs (actually all but one). I added the Alexa Skill to that hub, added devices, and Alexa can't find any.

So I tried using the existing Alexa App on another hub to add a device, and it isn't found either.,

Also, Alexa has no control over any of the devices.

Switching back to 2.2.7 fixes the problem. Any ideas?

@mike.maxwell

@gopher.ny Any ideas?

Ok.. We see the issue here.. Next build will fix this

3 Likes

You should switch to using the Alexa Skill. First remove the Alexa App, then add the skill via the Alexa App on your phone, and set it up there. That will install the Alexa Skill app on the hub, and allow you to select the devices.

I was trying to. Didn’t work. I will try again when it’s fixed.

There is nothing wrong with the Alexa Skill. See if you can remove the old Alexa App.

When removing the old app and installing the new will Alexa need to have all the devices re-configured/named and routines fixed? Or will all the existing devices in Alexa just get a new 'link' so to speak to HE through the new Alexa skill?

They'll need to be fixed (my guess, because they'll be deleted, or become a dup that's inactive)

That's what I was afraid of, almost all of my devices are linked to Alexa with the names I use for Alexa to control. That's a bummer.

1 Like

When you authorize the Alexa Skill, it will offer a selector for you to select those devices it is authorized to control. Just select the ones you want, and the rest is automatic -- nothing else to configure. You do it all in the Alexa app.

You can continue to use the Alexa App if you want. It's still there and it still works.

If all you need is to control switches and dimmers, and the app is working, you don't need to switch to the skill. But know that the skill has expanded capabilities, if you ever want to get more out of Alexa compatible devices, like locks, thermostats, garage doors, etc.

2 Likes

:+1: Thanks