Broken new driver? - Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor (TILT-ZWAVE5) 2.2.8.136

I noticed the new 2.2.8.136 update included a driver for the Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor. I tired using this driver with my Ecolink Z-Wave Plus Garage Door Tilt Sensor TILTZWAVE2.5-ECO but it doesn't appear to work. I had previously been using the "Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor" without issue.

I tired excluding, repairing and device still gets picked up as a Generic Z-Wave Contact Sensor. I tried manually selecting the new Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor driver and modified the angle parameters but could never get the device to show "open". Reverting back to the generic driver works fine.

I noticed the new Ecolink Garage Door Tilt Sensor driver specifically lists the model as "TILT-ZWAVE5". I can't find any reference to such a device and assumed it was a typo for TILTZWAVE2.5 but maybe there is a new device?

Any one have any luck with the new driver?

It is a new device, I do not believe this driver is compatible in any way with the older 2.5 device.

This "issue" is known by staff from what I remember in Beta discussions, and I don't think they intend people to use this with the older device.

1 Like

As @neonturbo indicated, this is the device being referred to:

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3793

Have you tried the "Generic Z-Wave Plus Contact Sensor" driver with your existing sensor? If you change drivers, be sure to hit the Configure button first.

1 Like

Yeah, the TILT-ZWAVE2 and 2.5 need to use the "Generic Z-Wave Plus Contact Sensor"
The TILT-ZWAVE5 uses degrees position, not just a ball in can contact type like the 2 and 2.5.

2 Likes

what is the use case for this device.. at least for my garage doors they are either open or closed unless broken.. they do not stop half way etc..

I suppose if your garage door didnt close all the way and was stuck halfway you could see that with the TILT-ZWAVE5. The others could read closed but the door maybe still a bit open.

Ya I figured that but never seen it happen. All.doors I know when that happens auto reverse for safety. Maybe get stuck closing. Seems.out there .

I can push the button on the wall, and stop the door maybe a foot up if I wanted ventilation. This could show I forgot to shut the door.

Thoughts on old EcoLink tilt sensor? I see they are much cheaper but there are a number of reviews saying the ball bearing contact becomes unreliable in a few months. Anyone here see that?

Yea, the ball can get stuck over time, I had one do that so I ended up replacing both of mine. The newer model has been working flawlessly.

1 Like