Brilliant Controls

Correct. Using SmartThings as a "go-between", I am able to control Brilliant devices from Hubitat and vice versa. The Brilliant to SmartThings connection is standard functionality. The SmartThings to Hubitat is via HubConnect.

1 Like

Any chance there is going to be some work integrating with Brilliant now they are a little more established?

I have had ST hub for a year and just recently bought a hubitat because the local integration with WebCore and better latency for rules looks great. I have been able to use ST to create rules converting the motion events from Brilliant into virtual sensors. and all sorts of other great things.

Long story short I have a bunch of these controllers in my house and I'm excited about the idea of slowly getting rid of my ST hub. I would be more than happy to try to help with this if someone would be able to provide some breadcrumbs. (I have a software background, and have already poked around in these devices over SSH to see what kind of trouble I could cause :smiley: )

I do not think we have been convincing enough.

1 Like

I submitted a feature request thought their website. but perhaps ill look over their site/support and see if I can push a little more.

Iā€™m happy to ask as well if you find out anything please post instructions!

If I got one of these, and if my wife ever found out what I paid for it...well, I just don't want to think about that. Would be a really angry-Godzilla moment. :wink:

They have a comment feature in their help docs. I posted here under "Brilliant Support > Integrations > General" there might be other pages that make sense to post on as well. but I'm not going to spam them.

1 Like

Looks like they changed how to request an integration... Here is the link I found on their site today. It leads to an other site though, and oddly enough, Hubitat is not on the list... I selected ā€œOtherā€ and typed it in...

Done. Submitted a request.

2 Likes

These seem to largely be mini Echo Show devices, set to fit into an switch box. At about 4x the price. :slight_smile:

They do look sweet but, sadly, Alexa doesn't seem to like me and rarely is good about doing what I ask. They are tempting though (esp. if I win the lottery so I could afford a half dozen or so)!!

• My real concern is spending this kind of money on something that stands a good chance of becoming obsolete/unsupported in just a few years.
3 Likes

Just thought I'd reply to your comment rob9 about the Brilliant devices being not much more than a min-Echo show device. I think that's a large misrepresentation of what they can do.

First they replace the entire switch(s) so right there you have a significant feature. Second they provide manual "switches" that can provide multiple levels of control (single tap, tap and hold, double tap and slide).

Lastly is that they do provide a fairly decent level of overall control but for me that's just ancillary.

I think it's a shame they aren't supported by Hubitat and if they were I'd purchase one (a Hubitat) today and begin migrating my platform off Smartthings.

Well, that is 100% all on Brilliant Controls. For the price they charge for their stuff, the LEAST they could do is make a public API/SDK to use for integration.

As long as there is no public API/SDK, there will never be official support by many/most 3rd party products (likely including Hubitat).

No API/SDK = "proprietary junk" in my book.

Just like you hesitate to buy Hubitat due to no support for Brilliant, I wont buy any Brilliant products since they don't have an API/SDK (and therefore can't integrate easily with other products). :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Me too. They are the one thing holding me back from moving off ST (and the HE mobile app, but HomeKit via Homebridge could work around that).

While expensive, they are clean and have great WAF. I've pinged Brilliant and asked to integrate with more hubs. One workaround of course is to keep the ST hub and expose your HE device to ST, then to the Brilliant... I'd be perfectly to jump to another wall controller with HE support, but there is nothing on the market as clean as Brilliant.

1 Like

There are plenty of devs that would be happy to integrate Brilliant with other hubs. Just takes cooperation from them...

2 Likes

My Brilliant control does one thing well: itā€™s a great nightlight and clock that illuminates on motion and then goes dark again. This product never lived up to my expectations and will occupy my gang box until I get my couple years moneys worth and then swap it out for a Caseta. It was a great idea but if you think itā€™s a mini iPhone and switch combinedā€¦. Itā€™s not.

4 Likes

I've had two of the switches for about 2 years now, and the pace that they are developing at is very slow.

The integrations are less than basic and it's a horribly closed platform. Not worth the money or time unless they open the platform and let smarter individuals fix it for them

4 Likes

I did the same.

1 Like

I really enjoy my Brilliant switches. Here are some things that they do.

Ring Integration - when someone pushes the door bell the ring feed appears on all of the Brilliant displays and I can pull up the videos from any of my other ring cameras.

Shortcuts - I have a short cut in the bathroom with a ST integration that turns off "brush your teeth" reminders from Alexa when you put the shortcut that you've brushed your teeth.

Sonos - I use this integration in my dinning room and living room for music with Ikea speakers. Volume can be lowered or the track can be changed without having to give someone access to my phone.

Video Conference - If I'm upstairs coding and my wife is downstairs cooking, I can pull up the Brilliant app on my phone and we can enjoy each other's company while still being able to be productive.

Then there's the usual stuff such as motion detection to trigger routines, Alexa, picture albums, and physical switches. I like the fact that they don't take up any outlet space and it's not another device that I need to have sitting on a countertop somewhere.