Bond Integration

Thanks for the help. The mirror app worked with the virtual driver.

@bcopeland I just set up the BOND integration tonight and I'm getting this when trying to set speed on 2 of my fans.

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'maxSpeed' on null object on line 499 (method componentSetSpeed)

and this when trying to turn on the fan light

java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'type' on null object on line 469 (method componentOn)

both work in the bond app. Any suggestions?

Are you using the official Hubitat integration, or the community integration?

• If the official HE one, switch to the community version.
  • If the community version, post ? on that thread.

Hi @calinatl - is the official not supported anymore?

nvrmind - found the community supported app in the Hubitat Package Manager and everything is working great so far.

Just be aware that the developer of the Community App / drivers is no longer an active member of the Community, and I don't believe is supporting that solution. I personally still use it, so I'm not suggesting it is a reason not to use it, just something to be aware of.

1 Like

@johnny2678 - the official app appears to need some attention and further development. I sincerely hope Hubitat does it.

@sburke781 - agree that users should be aware the community app is no longer supported. Unfortunately, the official app just does not work as well as the community supported app. Hopefully Hubitat will be able to update and improve the official app so that it does as much and eventually more than the community app, but until then, many of us just need something that works...so we use the unsupported community app instead of the official Hubitat app. To me that the way this is working out seems backwards. Hope for a change soon.

3 Likes

Recently moved into a new house and setup a brand new HE C8 Hub (had the C7 in the old house) and having issues with the bond integration. I'm also using the HomeKit beta app to make them available in Apple's Home app but even within HE itself I'm seeing the following in the logs which means that the Apple Home app gets confused (or at least I think there's a correlation there)

Center window is open
Center position is null%

Center window is closed
Center position is null%

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

I just installed the HE built in app and it is disappointing. The SetPosition doesn't seem to work at all. It did discovery just fine and open/close/stop seem to work fine. Nothing else does. I haven't tried the community version, but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be simple enough to take it over and keep it updated and supported. I'm thinking the API can't be that complicated. Has anyone tried?

Strange the set position doesn't work, might be worth raising with the HE support / dev team.

I know dman was happy to hand over HPM for others to continue, so he may be happy for someone to take on the Bond App / Drivers as well. I'm not aware of anyone having taken it on.

One thing to keep in mind the the community app uses polling and the system App gets instant subscribed updates from the bond hub. I think it uses an updated API. That’s why I stick with the system app, and it also has no issues with my simple fans.

1 Like

This and the support for 6 speed fans is why I chose move to the system app.

There is a trade off to consider. I gave up the ability to control the dimmers on my light kits as they are the kind where you hold the button down fan supplied remote while the light cycles through various levels. The community app driver had support for a similar control for changing the light level, but lacked support for 6 speed fans. It arbitrarily left off the 4th speed on my fans.

In the community app the control for managing the light level on my fans was complex to control with rules and I had created quite a hack to control them with my Picos with zero WAF. I realized we had stopped charging the levels on the lights anyways and were just using on/off so switching to the system app has been an improvement even with its limitations for my house.

1 Like

Yep, same here - we have that goofy hold-to-cycle-dim light thing, and I just leave it at one bright setting as an on/off option for the few times we ever that light (primarily just additional light when cleaning the bedroom). Whole setup works a treat, but our needs there are admittedly very basic.

Sorry for the possibly dumb question, but does the above means that the community app locally polls the BondBridge at certain intervals, but that with the system app, somehow the Bond Bridge broadcasts a local signal that the HE picks up (I presume via wifi?) whenever something changes?
If I have that correct:

1. Does the HE system app work if either the BondBridge or HE are not connected to the internet (ie only on LAN).
  2. Does this matter if all your changes to the end devices are via Hubitat? Seems it would only matter if your changes to the actual devices original either via a wall switch or device remote that then communicates to Bond then updates HE, or via automations within Bond.

I'm not sure about #1, but for #2, I can confirm that a change is simultaneously reflected (pretty darn instantaneously) within the Bond app and HE regardless of where I command it from (Bond app, HE, or fan remote)

This is with native Bond integration and my Bond bridge also connected to internet (since I like to make sure it gets f/w updates). AFAIK, the native integration uses Bond's API - there's no wifi involved in that particular connection.

Yes, I would assume there is the ability to subscribe to the bond event stream so that it sends them to the hub as they happen. Probably not just broadcasted out to the LAN.

It's been a minute since I originally set up Bond, but believe I'm using the community app, and I've been having problems with my fans lately. The light turns on when I'm only asking for the fan to turn on, or I can't adjust the speed of the fan, etc. I'm currently running homebridge to get devices into HomeKit. With the issues I'm having I was looking at getting rid of homebridge and using the direct integration with Hubitat and HomeKit, and while looking at that also realized / remembered there's a built-in Bond app and am wondering if I should switch to the supported bond app from Bond, or stick with the now unsupported community app. If anyone out there is using the built-in bond app with multi-speed fans with dimmable lights successfully please let me know. And can they be controlled through the HK integration successfully?

I am using the built in app with 3 speed fans, but not using dimmable lights. The dimming through bond was generally garbage, not like a true dimmer.

Getting it over to HK properly is a challenge. I am using Homebridge but even for that I ended up using a custom virtual fan driver to share to HK and have a rule that links the bond fan to the virtual. I never even really use the HK to adjust the fans after all that. They are mostly automated or adjusted with a zwave remote.

1 Like

I have 3 fans all on the native driver with no issues.

1 Like

Any idea why I'm having these issues with my Allen + Roth shades which makes the shade devices unusable without a virtual switch?:

• Displays in Room Lighting but cannot control (type is greyed and the are no Activation Settings to assist), so I can't use in RL without a virtual device workaround
  • Not listed to select in Groups, Mirror app, etc
  • Cannot control individual shades on dashboards

Bond brings the shades in using the Generic Component Window Shade driver. This is greyed out. Controlling the shades from the device screen and through a virtual switch with Rule Machine rules works fine.

The shades only have Open, Close, and Stop commands in Bond and uses the RMS74 template.