Bond Integration & Groups and Scenes Issue

Trying to convert my old Bond integration to use the newly rolled out Bond Integration. I had a ceiling fan light as part of a bedroom lighting group but I don't see the fan as selectable to add the light in the Groups and Scenes app. Is that expected or missed?

The only place I can fully control the fan light from is the fan's own child-device page -- I've tried a lot of other ways, but nothing else works (in my case, I can turn the light on other ways, but never off)...

I've brought this light-control issue up in other Bond Integration threads, but there's been no response yet.

@bravenel tagging...

This is @bcopeland 's domain

1 Like

This part might be "normal," or at least with Groups and Scenes as it currently exists. They look for switch, bulb, or dimmer devices, which at minimum must support on/off commands (and going up from there, "Set Level" for dimmer and "Set Color Temperature" and/or "Set Color" and friends for bulbs). There is nothing that looks specifically for fan control, though lots of older fan devices might also happen to implement the switch capability and thus give on/off, if not also "Set Level" like a dimmer, even though in a strict world fans would use just "Set Speed." I think that's the world Hubitat's newer drivers are moving towards, now that more and more apps support the latter and we don't have to "trick" them anymore into thinking things are dimmers (or even switches).

Groups and Scenes just isn't designed for "strict" fan devices, at least not as it stands now. I do still think it's nice when fan drivers at least have "On" and "Off" commands for super-easy changes that can be done from nearly any app, but it seems like they may be trying to reserve even those for lights, outlets, switches, etc. in favor of the fan-specific commands now, too (but they're nice because nearly an app can use them somehow -- and it would help with part of this :smiley: ). Just my observation of what seems to be the emerging trend! Hopefully more and more apps will move to be able to utilize fans as such without being tricked into thinking they're dimmers or switches....

I do recall a community app that could do some sort of custom device "groups," but I'm not sure if it worked with fans or what the name of it was to find it again...maybe someone else knows! It also wouldn't really help you get it into the "real" group, but maybe it could help with some of what you're looking for.

1 Like

All good points, but based on the fact it was possible to add the fan light to groups and scenes using Dominick's community Bond integration, it seems it would be somehow possible with the new official integration too. But I have zero dev experience, so I don't really know.

I think the root of this is that something bigger is amiss with the way the official integration makes the light available w/in any other HE tool - be it groups, scenes, button controller, RM etc.

ETA - too loose with my language above -- the new integration exposes the light, but something gets lost with control... In my case, I can successfully turn the light on via a button controller or RM rule (toggle or On command), but it doesn't ever respond to Off (next toggle or Off command). This was me experimenting with doing 1-for-1 device swaps in existing rules/automations I have now using Dominick's community integration.

Others have reported some issue with control, but I'm not sure what's going on there. Separately, there is effectively a development issue of what "capabilities" the driver implements, which is what I alluded to above. Capabilities generally affect what commands and attributes the driver has. In the example you're taking about, his apparently implemented switch- and dimmer-type capabilities for the fan (ultimately resulting in On, Off, and Set Level commands that affect the fan), where as Hubitat's uses strictly the fan control capabilities, meaning Set Speed and Cycle Speed are the commands used to control the fan.

Or at least that looks like how it's supposed to work. :).

1 Like

That makes good sense, and I bet you're on the right track there!

Finally got back to this and I see when I try to put the Fan on a Dashboard and pick FAN as the device I get the ? in the icon. Hmmmmmm.....

Looked for documentation but it doesn't look like there is any online for this yet. Was hoping I'm just missing something to get the Fan and Light control working on the dashboard.

I got my fan working well on a dashboard (but super basic -- I don't use icons), but not the light - I can add the light (I did it as a switch, since it's On/Off in the integration's child device page), but attempting to use that light tile just gives "Sending..." display in the tile that never ends or does anything.

The old user drivers had me with a fan icon and a light icon but both worked. I can't get either to work with FAN or SWITCH as a device. I'll see what the gurus say once they get to this.

1 Like

Poked around and after setting ATTRIBUTE first on the Dashboard and then picking Fan or Switch it works for each BUT the Switch Icon gets stuck on "Sending". Sure not intuitive to have to go through those steps and the Switch Icon should register the status properly.

Yeah, something is wonky with the light-integration portion of this... Hopefully it's a quick fix whenever @bcopeland can get to it.

In the meantime, it's great we can keep running Dominick's integration side-by-side... In all of my automations right now, I'm using the fan device from Bryan's integration, and the light device from Dominick's. When Bryan eradicates the lighting bug, it'll be a super quick device swap to fully move over.

1 Like

@bcopeland any thing on this? Thanks!

1 Like

Looks like this for me...wonky indeed. I added the "light" option to the dashboard three ways:

• Bulb
  • Dimmer
  • Switch

Each dashboard icon does control the bulb in the fan for on/off, but:

1. As soon as you make a selection the icon changes to the hourglass and as far as I've seen does not change back.
  2. The dimmer slider provided on the bulb and dimmer entries don't have any effect on the bulbs in the fan - it stays at fixed brightness regardless of the slider being at 0 or 100 or anywhere in-between.

Starts out like below (Fan, follwed by Bulb, Dimmer, and Switch):

As soon as you click on any of them to control the light they all change to this:

Same here -- the fan stuff works great, but the light integration is borked somehow... I've tried surfacing it for control a bunch of different ways in various apps, but nada yet.

The On/Off buttons on the child devoice page work for the light, but I just can't get that same on/off to map over anywhere else yet. In Bond, my fan's light has that weird dimming button where you just hold it to cycle thru min-to-max dim (others have mentioned it here IIRC), and I totally get that craziness must be a headache to bring over, but I'd be thrilled just to have basic On/Off.

I haven't seen any acknowledgement that this is considered a bug or any kind of comment from the Hubitat team. Did I miss it somewhere?

Unfortunately no. I'm back to using the community integration for now -- it works awesome, but I fear for its future since Dominick is no longer with the community.

Hopefully this official HE integration gets some TLC soon -- it would be a big win!

So I think the issue with controlling the light from anything other than the device page is the fact the switch state values are On/Off instead of on/off. The Hubitat developers should be able to confirm that.

@bcopeland have you had a chance to look at the switch state values of the Generic Component Fan Light Control device?

1 Like