Bluetooth monitor ability

I have several Bluetooth devices that are for various monitors to keep an eye on the level of tanks, power, battery monitor ect. Currently each has its own Android app that has to be opened to view. Trying to increase the WAF and see if there's any ideas how to be able to add a panel to a dashboard that would display the information. I'm going to be using an Android tablet for the main control board, and all of our devices will be set up with the individual apps so if that helps pull information, or I'm able to set up a raspberry pi or virtual machine to run things.

I know Bluetooth doesn't connect directly and I don't need any ability to control the devices just to monitor them. If anyone has a suggestion on a set-up to make an all in one control/monitor panel that would be awesome.

All of the devices can connect to this little device (appears to be a customer pi zero device and integrates them into a single app) which I likely will buy if I can't figure out another option. But I'd still rather 1 dashboard vs 2. If anyone thinks there might be a way to use his software to intergrate into a single hub I've been talking with him and might be able to get more details on the software to help script/build things out.

Depending on the format of the notifications coming out of the RV Whisper monitor station, the Tasker App for Android ($4 i believe) could probably pull information out of the notification and send it to a virtual device in Hubitat using an HTTP Request. Without knowing the format of their notifications, I am not sure exactly how you would do it though.

1 Like

I may have to just break down and buy his hub and fiddle with it... It saves data locally on it, but I believe the notifications go through his web service...

I already use one of the devices compatible with his hub and it's got it's own app, along with the other 2 or 3 devices I'm going to use, but having them all together is the goal. WAF is important, mostly for the two tank level sensors (ones not currently available but should be next month),. I deal with most of the monitoring side of things so if I can't fight it out it is what it is.

@brentfamily51, I have been making my own sensors. Lately I am looking at getting Bluetooth devices connected to our hubs.

My goal is to make Bluetooth gateway for our hubs. Bluetooth is a good standard. However, it is very flexible one. Each devices can implement some part of the specification not others. The flexibility also introduce complexity.

For the devices that I own and tested, a couple of them use Bluetooth advertisement. It is very simple to collect the advertisement data. The device will send standardized Bluetooth Advertising packet.

I am also able to control some Devices as well with other aspect of Bluetooth protocol.

If you can dig a bit on how those devices that you want to monitor use Bluetooth as protocol, perhaps you are lucky that the data you want to monitor is in the advertising packet.

Android has Bluetooth packet sniffing log that you can enable and download. This data can be uploaded to Wireshark. I used this to learn about my bed many years ago. Today, the android sniffing steps may be different. You may need to google them. If you can get data from the sniffer, you can learn a lot to move forward on your goal. You can find out whether pairing is needed. You can find out whether it is encrypted.

The above assume that you cannot ask the maker how they use the Bluetooth. Some maker is happy to tell you what you need to do to connect to their devices.

1 Like

Awesome, I'll definitely test the device I already have, since there's a guy who's written a single app to pull them together like this I assume it's open, as only one of the devices he lists as compatible, mentioned anything about his service (actually where I found his project).

Appreciate the information to head me into a direction for it. Should help point me in a direction that should hopefully get a way to poll the data to display which thankfully that's all I need, no control so that helps a bit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.