Better Laundry Monitor Port & Update

For that, I gave you a virtual :heart:. :laughing:

1 Like

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Nice! I had just added this to my local version yesterday and had sloted time to check it into the public version today.

I would say there is another option I might add, which is "turn on a switch after the cycle ends" and possibly even "set a bulb color when a cycle ends" -- my wife doesn't watch her phone very closely with the kids so being able to set the under cabinet RGBW strips to an obvious color when the load finishes (or turn on a light somewhere) might be more useful than a text.

Oh and sidenote, this app works great for toaster ovens and what not (I can't here the Pizzazz ding from downstairs in my office when I'm re-heating things...) so that's a plus if you've got a heavy duty plug.

You can use RM to handle the End of Cycle rituals... "When VSwitchBLM001 goes to off, then turn on RGB light to purple" kinda thing. But it won't go On again til the next load of Laundry. Tomorrow? The weekend?

Which is why RM seems like a better solution.. you can have the "purple" last for 15 mins, for example.

1 Like

How about this:

This sets the Private Boolean of the message rule to true when the voltage kicks up:

This sits there and cycles away. The PB becomes true, but the voltage will go false when the washer cycles. It will continue that way due to the "Delay by 1 minute Cancel" My washer takes at most 45 seconds to complete a drain/fill cycle. If your washer takes longer to cycle, then increase the delay. Now you can set a whole list of actions including bulb color.

1 Like

Update: The one rule for both didn't work out so I'm back to two rules.

okay...I did a bit more testing and I got them down to two rules.

The trick with the dryer was to find out how much wattage the dryer used with the door open. This included the control panel and the light bulb being on (15.338 watts). I hadn't thought about this before and wondered why I'd get notified it was finished even if I just opened the door. That led me down the private boolean path when I should have gone down the wattage path.

The washer rule really came down to the delay. My washer does a bit of maintenance after the final rinse and I wasn't accounting for that.

Seems setting modes wont stick.

A suggestion for the cycle start. My zooz zen 15 will randomly report bad power (only 1, reporting 10 seconds) : Washing Machine power is 805308.083 W this triggers the cycle start, then the new reports are normal (< 2 watts) and the cycle end triggers. Perhaps adding the cycle start after X reports just like the ending.

I originally had that after I built the configurable wait/triggers for the ending but I realized that I could set my starting wattage up quite a bit (just so long as each cycle hits at least that much somewhere in the cycle) to prevent false starts as I wasn't timing the load, nor did I care that one started (I'd pushed the button after all, I knew it started) but that said It'd be trivial to add the option.

I have both the washer and dryer (gas heated) on the same zooz, and had to adjust the startup power to be above what the control panels and lights draw when both on, but 805,000 Watts is obviously a bad reading. Only happened about 3 times this week. otherwise I the monitor works great. Adding another zooz for the dishwasher now.

I'm sorry I misread I didn't see you had a 'bad' reading causing it. That would be unfixable obviously without the repeat action, I can try to get some time and add it for you so you can have it require twice/three times whatever to filter out those spikes.

I just found the latestpower variable and the comment about it being less than 1000 to avoid false spike triggers. I changed the value to 1800 and compared that in the start if logic.

I have 2 zooz Zen15s and they both randomly report the huge power use for one or two reports- I know my dishwasher or laundry is not drawing over 2,000 amps :crazy_face:

That is interesting, I have a handful of the Zen15's and haven't noticed any false starts. I'll have to watch a little more closely. Here is what I have set up:

I think the false stats are mainly with the first gen (straight connector) ZEN15s ... I have four of them and they all give me something like 10 million watts (or amps or voltage) or so for max readings sometimes :face_with_raised_eyebrow: ... likely a firmware problem with the first gens.

I just purchased the Zen15s in the past week or 2. I'm only a couple month into home automation. I have the angled plug. Both units have given a few high power readings, but I added the start filter into the driver code to ignore any power report over 1800 watts as a start trigger. I am wondering if the bad reports my be due to a power surge (we are rural - have to use cell radio as internet connection). I also have a couple of 900 Mhz ethenet radio links - so they share/are close to the zwave frequencies. I was surprised zwave even works for me with the 900Mhz radio links in the same house.

The driver code change I made seems to have eliminated the false starts.

I don’t think so. While I love these plugs, they have always had the infrequent erroneous events. I just have to make sure that any automation that triggers on power has a limiting condition.(power<1800)

Are you still using your port of @krlaframboise ST handler? IIRC, he included a filter that would keep crazy reports from creating events. I don’t think the native driver has that.

Nope, I switched to the built in driver as soon as it came out, I do have all not first gen ones so maybe I got lucky :slight_smile:

1 Like

An issue: I use a Zooz ZEN15 to monitor power. My dryer, when it shuts off drops to 0 power. Once it's at 0 the ZEN15 stops reporting power.

So my usage reporting thresholds is 0 in the child UI.

However the 0 appears to be ignored. There is a default at line 103 in the child app code:

delayEnd = delayEnd ?: 2

That default appears to be overriding the 0 set in the UI. If I change the default to 0 in the code, the app works as intended.