Better built-in driver for Sinope TH1123/TH1124ZB thermostats?

Is it possible to get a better built-in driver for the TH1123/TH1124ZB Sinope thermostats?

The built-in driver has some issues:

• No lock/unlock
  • No energy reporting
  • The temperature unit setting doesn't seem to do anything
  • The display on/off preference doesn't seem to do anything
  • There's a refresh_misc() function that throws an error in the logs
  • The "Disable clock display" preference doesn't seem to do anything

Additionally...

The sinope TH1123/1124ZB thermostats are for heating only, so buttons like cool, and emergency heat aren't useful. This might mean a new capability is needed instead of just "Thermostat" (maybe "HeatOnlyThermostat").

scoulombe79's driver adds lock/unlock and a few other features, but it has other issues:

• doesn't have a 24/12hr clock setting toggle
  • the "lock the thermostat" preference isn't needed since there are action buttons for locking/unlocking
  • no temperature scale setting
  • no clock disable toggle (although maybe "disable outdoor temp" would do it)

sacua's driver adds a few more features like display on/off and very robust energy reporting, but it focuses on outdoor temp versus clock (it would be nice to be able to choose) and doesn't include an option for choosing the default display state (on versus sensing).

Each one of these drivers could be pulled apart and formed into a mix of them, but then it would result in yet another community driver that should be a built-in driver.

There's a lot of good work in the community with the sinope driver... but what I'd really like to see is some of the those features (many of which appear to be core functionality for the thermostat on the SmartThings platform) make their way back into the built-in driver.

Am I asking too much?

3 Likes

From what I can see, the built-in drivers typically have basic functionality for the average user will need. Community drivers will typically provide you with more options and functionality. @samuel.c.auclair’s driver is the latest version of the community driver and from what I see, it is the one with the most functionality. It might be worth it to see if he would be interested in adding the options that you are looking for.

In my experience, the temperature scale will adjust to your hub’s scale. I recently setup a new hub and forgot to change the scale to Celcius, and until I did and re-configured the thermostat, it was displaying its temperature in Fahrenheit.

I suspect that the 24/12hr clock setting would follow the same principle, but didn’t test it.

I’m curious about this one. I use Samuel’s driver myself and can see the separate lock and unlock buttons, but not sure about the preference…?

Are you looking to have it not display the time? I know there is a way to ensure it does, but (Refresh Time) but to my knowledge as well, there is currently no way to disable it.

I have setup a rule in Rule Machine that will automatically turn on the display with motion and then turn off when there is none. Are you trying to do something similar?

1 Like

Thanks, Samuel's driver is the one I swapped to today. I'll give it a try for longer.

I’m curious about this one. I use Samuel’s driver myself and can see the separate lock and unlock buttons, but not sure about the preference…?

This is included in one of the other community drivers and more of a comment on it not being necessary.

Are you looking to have it not display the time? I know there is a way to ensure it does, but (Refresh Time) but to my knowledge as well, there is currently no way to disable it.

I thought I saw a community driver where the clock could be disabled. I don't want it disabled, I just want a driver that offers the option if the thermostat supports it.

I have setup a rule in Rule Machine that will automatically turn on the display with motion and then turn off when there is none. Are you trying to do something similar?

This was more about having the option since the thermostat supports it. The longer I have the thermostat, the more I realize that I'll likely just leave the display on all the time.

1 Like

NOT at all

I thought I saw a community driver where the clock could be disabled. I don't want it disabled, I just want a driver that offers the option if the thermostat supports it.

You are right there is some community drivers offering this option, but for me, those does not exactly works flawlessly, it takes a few hours before taking effect. I could update mine to include it, but as you mentioned, I simply don't see why people will not enable it since the display can be turn off. Since it takes a while to take effect, I was somewhat fearing that people would see it as a bug. If I got request to include, I will gladly add it, it is simply a question of minutes to add it.

1 Like