[BETA] xiaoyan - terncy-sd01 driver

Xiaoyan terncy-sd01 device driver for Hubitat HE

Driver for the xiaoyan terncy-sd01 (which I purchased off aliexpress: Terncy Smart Dial TERNCY SD01 Smart scene Controller support Apple HomeKit (need to work with gateway )|Building Automation| - AliExpress) (note: I'm not affiliated in any way)

Device features

I have had to reverse engineer the features of the dial, so I may not have captured everything. However, what I do have
in place is:

Button tap: Supports up to 9 x taps each tap will register as a a button from 1 to 9
Button hold: Supports up to 8 x holds: button 11 to button 18 :information_source:︎ see below for quirks
Rotation direction: Clockwise and anti-clockwise
Rotation amount: A value representing how much the dial was rotated.

Note: Rotation direction and amount are only sent once the rotation stops. i.e. rotation doesn't start registering
at the commencement of rotation, it only registers at the end of the rotation event. This is a hardware thing.

Driver Features

Supports capabilities:

• Configuration
  • Battery
  • PushableButton
  • LevelPreset
  • AudioVolume

LevelPreset

Level change supports 3 different units of measure: Division, rotation %, degrees° rotated
Level change can be toggled from an absolute value to a relative value

Volume can be configured with a variable step size to tweak the sensitivity

PushableButton behaviours

The device has a single button which tracks multi-tap up to 9 times each multi tap has been configured to register as a
button from 1 to 9

HoldableButton behaviours

The device supports button hold up to 8 times but has some quirks:

:information_source: Quirks

Holding the button for ~1 seconds registers as a single button hold (button 11). Holding the button for ~2 seconds
registers as a button hold for button 11 and then button 12. The driver code hides this behaviour away, so that you only
see the last button in the sequence.

The way it does this, is by waiting for an additional 1100ms after a hold is registered, to check if an additional hold
event is triggered after the current. Therefore, a hold event lasts a second, but the event will not be triggered until
1100ms + 1000ms x button hold count e.g. If you hold for the third button hold event, it will not be triggered for ~4
seconds

Warning

Button 18 may not be useful and button 17 might be frustrating to try to target, because if you hold the
button down for too long, you will place the dial in zigbee pairing mode which is about ~8 seconds.

On holding for ~8 seconds, button 18 will be triggered, but you will have to pair your dial with your zigbee controller
again.

Custom capability: Rotation change

Rotation change supports negative and positive values outside of the standard 0-100 range
Rotation change supports 3 different units of measure: Division, rotation %, degrees° rotated
Rotation change can be toggled between relative and absolute values
Rotation supports a unit multiplier to tweak the sensitivity

Driver download

4 Likes

Great work. thank you.
It's staying connected well and not falling off the mesh?

1 Like

It has been working fine for me. I've had no issues so far, but I've only been using it for about a week.

2 Likes

Battery life seems acceptable on this device, which has been paired since Nov 2021.

Battery is currently at 33.0 (assuming percent) which put's it at about 100% down to 33% in around ~6 months. Bear in mind, this is also the same battery I used when developing and testing the driver above, which may have used an extra bit of charge - so your experience may be a bit different from mine.