[Beta] Wink Relay - LAN Integration

Hi Josh
Appreciate the assistance you and Adam provided. For a while I figured these were headed for the landfill. I will have to pick up a good Java primer somewhere and see if I can get my head around it.
Cheers
Derrick

I can confirm it is now working. Thank you for the quick fix

1 Like

Hi Josh
How hard would it be to have the program report temperatures in Celsius? (For us lot up in the "Great White North". LOL!

Cheers

1 Like

Iā€™ll throw a PR in later to offer a Ā°C option :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adam, Josh, I am having a devil of a time getting the buttons on this Wink Relay to work with loads that are not directly connected to it. I have looked through the posts and can't seem to find any definitive ways to do this with the relay setup as device and the buttons as children. Could you instruct me on how to do this properly?
Thanks, in advance, for the assist.
Cheers
Derrick

I don't think there's a definitive guide, but the following post has some tips that might be helpful:

On the Wink Relay, within the custom STWinkRelay app, there are configuration options to choose what pressing the physical buttons on the relay does.

You can configure the device to do nothing when the button is pressed. In that case, it won't physically actuate the built-in relay (switch) on the Wink Relay, but it will still send the button press event to Hubitat.

You can then use the built-in Rule Machine or Button Controller (depending on your hub software version) to use the button press events from the (parent) Wink Relay device to trigger actions on other devices.

Hi Josh

I keep getting this error every time I try to trigger the buttons. Top and bottom, both, give the same error. Any ideas?

2020-04-06 18:49:42.519 errorjava.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method sendEvent() on null object on line 228 (relay1On)

Name this Rule*

Select Trigger Events
Master Bedroom Wink Relay button 1 pushed

Select Actions to Run
Toggle: Master Bedroom Bedside Table Lamp, Master Bedroom Bedside Table Lamp 2

This is what I have in rule machine

Checked the Wink Relay and both buttons are set to "Do Nothing (Event Only)
Cheers

How are you trying run the rule?

That block of code should only be run when one of the commands is used on the device (eg. on(), relay1On() or toggle()). In the case of you physically pressing the button on the Wink Relay, those blocks of code shouldn't be called by default as it's just an event update.

Either there's lines missing from your log snippet or the device isn't being actuated physically.

HI Josh

OK, so, what do I need to do in order to press one of the buttons and, say, turn on a bedside lamp that is not electrically connected to the relay? (Say, Relay 1 for illustrative purposes)

Sorry, old, tired, brain.

Cheers
Derrick

Good Evening Josh

I figured it out. I had been at this new hub continuously for several days and I guess I should have left it alone for a bit. Anyway, it hit me today what you were saying and how to do it. Felt like a complete idiot. Again, thanks for the help and, more importantly, your forbearance.
Cheers
Derrick

1 Like

when I try and install the STWinkRelay.apk, the apk will not install get the following error:

adb: error: failed to copy 'STWinkRelay_0-3-0a.apk' to '/data/local/tmp/STWinkRelay_0-3-0a.apk': remote Permission denied

any ideas?

Does adb work properly otherwise? If you're not intimately familiar with adb and troubleshooting it, I would recommend using a browser directly on the Wink Relay to download the APK and install it directly on the device. :smiley:

1 Like

How do I install via the web browser? I do have firefox on the relay. Relay is rooted. Can I just search for the STWinkRelay?

You can use the links from the first post in this thread.

Just got my HE two days ago...moving from Wink. I have three Wink Relays and this procedure went flawlessly. I could not be happier. You saved $210 worth of Wink Relays from life in the junk drawer. Thank you!

2 Likes

Josh, this has been a truly amazing process converting my wink Relay's to be controlled by Hubitat. I just have one problem, I was hoping you could help with. One of My Relay's backlight keeps coming on and staying on. Normally not an issue but it is the one in my Bedroom and at night is bright. I can manually turn it off with the Hubitat control but it comes back on in about 15 min and stays on. It is keeping my wife awake and I need to come up with a solution. Any help greatly appreciated!!

1 Like

Did you disable the OEM features? When you open the STWinkRelay app on the Wink Relay, it should have a big button in the center asking you disable it.

If that doesn't help, I would need more information from you to help troubleshoot.

Keep in mind that @adamkempenich added an option for Enable backlight with proximity and another option for setting the threshold. You may want to play with the threshold value or disable that feature.

1 Like

Hi Josh

Every now and then these Wink relays reboot themselves. How can ensure that the new Wink Relay app loads upon reboot?
Cheers
Derrick