[DEPRECATED]TuyaHubitat - (jinvoo, smart life, tuya smart - switches only)

@cwwilson08 Ok so the bottom comes off easily and no need to remove the board out of the case but it will require soldering wires to the tyw3s board see link for pin out

https://docs.tuya.com/en/hardware/WiFi-module/wifi-e3s-module-plug.html

This should work with the Tasmota software but will need the basic module set and all the options correctly selected. I'm sure you already know what needs to be done. Let me know if you need more info. I am waiting for parts comming in early this week to be able to attempt this myself.

1 Like

If you can provide some pictures of what it should look like when successfully done I might attempt this. I usually do not go quite this far with electronics but am always up for a challenge.

Lol I save lives for a living. Tinkering with my hubitat is what I do to annoy my wife....

Actually just found this.

This really seems more in @ericm's ballpark. So tagging him maybe he has worked with these?

@cwwilson08 LOL! Actually, the link shows exactly what needs to be done in the 2nd and 3rd pictures. Have you ever soldered wires onto a pcb before? And btw that link is exactly what we needed for this setup. I can't believe I didn't find that.

1 Like

Yes I have. I am however far from proficient. Looking at the pics I think I can accomplish the task though.

@cwwilson08 Awesome. When you have that let me know and ill do what i can to walk you thru the rest. Do you have FTDI usb uart

You should check out a YouTube channel called The Hook Up .
He converted a bunch of Tuya lights recently to Tasmota and shows his quick solder connections.

1 Like

@keithcroshaw Thank you! I needed that info for the light conversion and setup.

1 Like

No problem,
I'd prefer to go Tasmota for my two Tuya bulbs but the lids are on so solid I'd completely destroy them before getting them off nicely...

@damon.dinsmore Marvellous. I'll find some time to get into that. :wink:

-- Jules

1 Like

@keithcroshaw can you link to the correct video with the tuya bulbs. Can't seem to find it

This one:

Sadly no. I am currently investigating what all I will need to purchase and trying to figure out of it is worth it just to save a few dollars on my plugs.

@cwwilson08 hang tight on getting anything. The guy that created the TuyOTA flashing method is working on why these are not updating. There is a list of about 5 devices experiencing the same issue where they will not ask for the update. We will see what transpires over the next few days.

Hehe. OK. So... quick update on my attempts to OTA flash one of my 'electriQ' RGBWW Tuya-style bulbs:

After due buggering around with the RPI and the Tuya flash stuff... I was the proud owner of a Tasmoto flashed bulb. Spent a little while trying to work out if any of the default module types was close enough to work (answer: No... not unless you just want it to be a WW bulb).

Threw a new version of the firmware on it in case that worked better (v6.4), and then a few minutes into tinkering with it... the bulb stopped responding. No joining the network, no pinging, no HTTP, etc.

So... I'll have to see if I can find a way to re-attach it. From browsing... it looks like my choices are:

1. Find out how to crack the casing, solder wiring, and then re-flash the whole thing. Not attractive, if only because the casing appears relatively robust :wink:
  2. Hope that it's just the wifi configuration that got toileted somehow - looks like button operation (not easy - there's no buttons, and see #1 for cracking the casing), or maybe WPS, if I can find a backward enough wireless access point about the place to support it.

Or I've bricked it. Not a major worry - it was a 'spare' bulb anyway... but it'll kind of slow down progress if it explodes like that :wink:

Ah well.

-- Jules

@JulesT What firmware did you fash it with? I did of espurna that only could ssh to it without a web interface and had a hell of a time getting it back.

Also if you turn the buld of and on 3 times with one second in between you reset the network settings and then should show up in your phone wifi

Hi Damon.

Flashed it with the newest base Tasmota-sonoff. I couldn't find any obvious reference to that as a reset combination, but I'll give it a go :wink:

-- Jules

Oooh. Beautiful. OK. Got the bulb back. Now to work out if that's because (a) Ubuiquiti APs, and documented problems with that and old arduino-core libraries, or (b) because I was pressing buttons :wink:

-- Jules

OK. Here we go. Something that looks a lot like success.

I've got tasmota running on a bulb... it looks to be roughly stable... and I can control the colour it offers by console command.

It was basically just a question of hooking up the right GPIO pins to the right outputs... it's an LED bulb... so controlling the colour with PWM sounds like the right thing.

So... for my bulb at least, set the module to type 'generic', and the following GPIO pins:

D2 - GPIO4 - Red Channel - PCM2
D1 - GPIO5 - White Channel - PCM1
D6 - GPIO12 -Green Channel - PCM3
D5 - GPIO14- Blue Channel - PCM4

From the console, try color: - but if you specify anything other than '00' for WW then you're going to get a white. 'color 00ff0000' is full-red, 'color 0000ff00' is full-green, 'color 000000ff' is full-blue. And other combinations do what you expect.

So... next up... get it integrated into hubitat's view of the world :wink:

Damon - thanks hugely for your help on this.

-- Jules

1 Like

@JulesT Awesome! Your welcome. I will try those settings. This is a game changer for Tuya devices and Lights.

1 Like

So have we abandoned Tuya integration and decided we're flashing our bulbs? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I 100% as I've flashed Tasmota before but the damn lids are on my bulbs so securely I'd break the lid before removing it so I could re-attach it...