[BETA] ratgdo driver (w/ MQTT firmware)

Thanks for this. I had mine set to "ratgo" rather than "ratdgo". All I need now is dashboard control.

Edit: temporarily created virtual buttons with rules that can tell the garage door to open or close, but it doesn't show a status on the dashboard.

Hmm, I am not sure what needs to happen here for that to work. I’ll look into it, I mostly use HomeKit for direct control) versus rules bound to buttons and such.

I was told this ratgdo was the greatest thing since sliced bread so i want to try it. I'm using mosquitto. I tested functionality with MQTT Explorer. I install the MQTT firmware. When i click visit device it opens the page. I get the device name and add the prefix. I added the mosquitto IP and port. the UI also forces you to put in the OTA password. When i click save and reboot it never starts back up.

After i click save and reboot the blue light comes on and stays on.

what could be the issue?

To be clear, you’re experiencing a ratgdo issue, not one with the driver. But let’s try to get you sorted out.

Let’s have you reinstall the MQTT firmware and go to the configuration screen for the ratgdo. Can you take a screenshot of that confirm screen and paste it here?

I am also not sure what you are saying about forcing you to enter the OTA password. Once it’s set, it’s set and it will ask you when you connect to the device again (via an http challenge)

1 Like

Since i posted i have found that if in the ratgdo gui if i use IP instead of FQDN i then can reboot and the gui comes up again.

Now i have a new problem. After the reboot its looking for a username and password. i've only set the OTA password and i did not set any server user name or passwords. So i dont know whats needed.

What i meant by forcing is its required before you can save the config

https://paulwieland.github.io/ratgdo/02_configuration.html

To be fair, this is the Hubitat community forum, not Ratgdo's support page.

1 Like

I read that but i missed the part about the device name being the user name.

thanks for that information.

should i be seeing more information in the status

Hit Initialize and refresh.

I would also confirm that you can open, close the door using MQTT explorer as described above. Just to make sure the wiring is good before using the driver in Hubitat. [BETA] ratgdo driver (w/ MQTT firmware) - #78 by 825d60685b34c4f304ab

I used the explorer and could see the door open command and every other button i pressed from HE. so i guess my next step is to wire it in.

I noticed once i looked at the explorer and pressed each button the states all populated. it appears that you need to change each state at least once before it shows up.

1 Like

@john66public that's probably because your ratgo isn't wired in, otherwise it would have already sent status to the MQTT brokers which the driver would have picked up.

so this only works with mqtt? does this work with homekit or wifi fireware?

That's correct. I don't believe the Homekit or ESPHome firmware have documented and easy to use external APIs I could access the device with and get status updates from. Note that I don't just need to query but it would need to push status updates to the habitat as well in some fashion.

I believe the ESPHome integration is possible but rather complex. You might want to try the ESPHome Hubitat integration and report. It seems to have support for Garage Doors.

I understand the MQTT firmware requires a specific MQTT broker and not everyone has a homelab PC or Pie it can run out and the idea of depending on a cloud-based broker for this automation is not appealing but that's the only way I know of, right now.

I ended-up going that direction myself. It works well, but doesn’t have any of the neat functionality that the MQTT driver has. It can open and close. It can also let Hubitat know when the door is opening, open, closing, and closed. That’s about it with the current community ESPHome driver.

1 Like

Ive hit the initialize and the states are there now. I wired up the device.
If i press the door opener button on the wall it opens and closes as it should. If i put something in the way the door stops closing.

If i press the virutal buttons in HE nothing happens. I have the MQTT explorer open and every vitual button i press shows up in the explorer instantly. There was one time the door opened from the virtual button in HE.

In the photo the red and white wire on the left of the ratdgo is the door switch. the red and white wire on the right is the obstruction sensor.

any ideas what to check?

I did get it to open a second time. i pressed refresh and the door opened.

also i notice that when i press buttons the light on the ratgdo blinks

i moved the HE to 10 feet away. so it cant be RF

Did you try the diagnostic steps described above, sending the commands directly via MQTT explorer? I want to make sure it’s not a wiring issue first, especially since it seems the driver is working correctly.

Please also take a screenshot of both the ratgdo web configuration and the driver configuration (topics and such).

Screenshot 2024-02-05 at 8.37.27 AM