[Beta] MQTT beta 3d (released 5th July)

I am crossing my fingers that the virtual temperature sensor works in beta3d - if not I will have to get you to upgrade to beta3e. I believe it does but will check here now

That is a sensor i.e. it makes no sense to need to write a value to it from HE. It could either be imported to a HE virtual temperature sensor or a MQTT Text device (which could add some fancy formatting like a degree symbol)

Like I said, it's become muscle memory for me. This is what I got taken from the sidebar 'devices' selection in HE. It was created from mqtt, then authorized using the other button, then saved etc.

This time it was different though. It looks more like what you showed me. However, I haven't been able to set measured-temperature yet.

Ignore the reference to electric

Has it got a Data section at the bottom of that 'Device Information' page

(the topic editor I know is quirky - sometimes doesn't take value and you have to do it twice, check there is no leading space)

so it would be " ,,,,/atest/electric/rate/now/measure-temperature" with a payload of something?

I don't see an higher level "electric"

What is the complete MQTT topic you are publishing your temperature sensor value to ? That is what goes in the temperature_Topic data value

How does that topic get set, I don't see anything after topic.

Ahh you can't publish to a topic that starts with homie (as you are not publishing a homie compliant topic structure). I think you have total control of your topics so publish to something like

sensors/desert-home/atest or similar

Where do I set that?

You set it here ^^^ - on your pi - it is you that is publishing not HE.

You can emulate this of course using MQTT Explorer's publish feature. You must publish the payload as 'retained'

Wait, I have the thermostat working exactly as I described right now. It takes the temperature and uses it. What would receive the thing I publish. There's nothing listening to some random thing I send to from the pi. What is listening to deserthome/sensors/anything

I am using the explorer to do this.

My app is listening to that topic as long as you tell it what the topic is !

Let's go to PM - I'll continue there but just as a double check you already have a topic on MQTT that is

deserthome/sensors/atest

that is holding a retained payload of your temperature ?

Off to PM

Now I have to learn how to use PM.

In the top right corner of your screen where the orange D circle is you will have a notification from me in a dropdown - click on that and it will take you to the PM

[all fixed now via PM]

Hi. I have logLevel in the MQTT app set to ERROR. However, I am still getting TRACE logs. In the MQTT client driver logLevel is set to 4. I have the latest version beta 3d. Any thoughts on how to get logging level working as expected?

Example:
2021-08-10 02:47:00.035 pm traceMQTT> ad hoc MQTT parse aqualinkd/Temperature/Air 103.00

In the MQTT client driver you could change line 892 assuming it is the same as below.. Replace "LOG" with "TRACE"

892 if (!top.startsWith("SHAC/")) log ("ad hoc MQTT parse $top ${payload[0]}", "LOG")

becomes

892 if (!top.startsWith("SHAC/")) log ("ad hoc MQTT parse $top ${payload[0]}", "TRACE")

Kevin, Dave here. Remember me from the other night. I took the suggestions you gave me and went off and implemented them into my system. It is ALL working perfectly. I would call that particular problem solved perfectly.

Therefore, on to the next problem. I have a power sensor that I want to do exactly the same thing with. It can send any mqtt topic like the ones already done, but I ran into the lack of a virtual power monitor. There's humidity, power, etc., but not power. I saw an energy attribute in the omni, along with about a hundred others. Should I use that?

And, thank you again for the help.

Dave - I would be tempted to use an MQTT Text device - if it is only for display as that is easy. That device driver is in the repo.

The Omni is quite complex but may work - you could try it and see.

If the text driver isn't adequate and Omni has an issue please PM me. It may give you some issues with the quirky data editor.