[BETA] Hubitat Package Manager

Thanks for your efforts @csteele . What happens with the config file that controls the published repos now? It is also hosted in Dominic's GitHub here to which we also wouldn't have control?

We should also update the README accordingly for your fork. Are the controller/owner of that HubitatCommunity on GitHub I assume?

3 Likes

Yes, I agree that there's more transition needed but I'm going to hold out hope he changes his mind for a few days longer. :smiley:

10 Likes

obi wan kenobi these are not the droids youre looking for GIF by Star Wars

I know the answer is very unlikely to be yes, given previous expressed views, but I really think that the HE team should consider building this into the platform, even if it has GIANT warnings on it about unsupported user code/no guarantees, I think HPM adds so much value to the community side it would be a shame to see this fall down. @bobbyD @bravenel @gopher.ny @bcopeland .

Please consider having this as part of the platform. Pretty please.

9 Likes

I just barely latched onto HPM and you want to take it away???
(Please, take it.) :smiley:

12 Likes

Truly a tremendous loss to the community. HPM is the “Great Facilitator” and has enabled me to load multi-component complex apps that I probably would not have attempted to load on my own. Truly a great loss.

@csteele. Some questions:

1. should we uninstall the original HPM and load up the new HubitatCommunity HPM at this time (I am assuming that the Search by Fast window option would then show up under the Search Tab?).
  2. By deleting Dominic’s original app, when we upload the new community HPM app, will it automatically pick up on the already installed apps to continue monitoring for updates (again, assuming that we have Fast Search enabled?).
  3. Are there any other “tips” or things to watch out for during this transition?

Finally, @csteele thanks so much for keeping HPM alive! Indispensable app!

5 Likes

At this moment, I don't think there should be a RUSH to migrate. Dominic said last year he wasn't planning on removing or "breaking" anything. As the days go by, and together we conclude he really has left, I'll do a transition release to move the Master Manifest and so on, over to "my" fork. I think for most, that will be the time to migrate.

I've been using my version since July of last year. So I'll have to think a bit remember the nuances but from memory, I just copied it over... no delete, just straight paste. The change is minor at best, only "Install: Search by Keywords" got touched. That is the one place where "Fast" appears.

11 Likes

@csteele
Thanks again for all your work on this and keeping us informed. All your effort is much appreciated!

2 Likes

We have considered this, and won't take it on. Doing so would put us in an untenable position, either as to giving the appearance of approving/endorsing customer apps and drivers, or being deemed to have contributed to any liabilities arising from their use. Neither of those risks are ones we are willing to take. As it is, as a community supported system, HPM works well.

14 Likes

Thanks Bruce, honestly I do understand that. I just see other platforms providing an easy Marketplace of sorts to provision community add-ons, whilst also being clear that there are no endorsements or guarantees provided. I personally feel that is possible, but I don't begrudge you or the team feeling otherwise.

@csteele Ha sorry bud, glad you're willing to take it over. I just felt that the experience for new users would be improved if user packages were searchable out of the box, without having to find the right app to copy the code in. It would lower the entry requirement for newbies, but as said above, I do understand Bruce and the teams position, I just feel that it should be possible without them having to accept all the liability. Even an agreement that has to be accepted before any user code can be installed on a hub might cover it, but there might be other legal gotchas I'm not familiar with.

1 Like

As sorry as I am? :smiley:

I think I'll mention that the "Fast Search" is implemented via a cron job that follows every link in the Master Manifest and gathers the keywords for search HOURLY and stuffs it in a database. Dominic has to tweek the Azure code to include new manifests, which could be an overnight delay.

There are currently 107 items in the Master Manifest resulting in 443 packages. I see there are 7 pull requests to his Master and I'll look at integrating them to mine tomorrow.

12 Likes

Thank you @csteele for keeping HPM going! If you have a donations link somewhere, please advise - I'd happily chip in a few bones.

12 Likes

I humbly suggest that you create a new thread and link back to this (the "beta" thread) in the first post. That way you can update the first post.

8 Likes

I too saw the writing on the wall when he wrote that "moving on" post. The thought of losing the only way to easily install apps/drivers really made me start thinking. So I went to work, creating a way to work with Bundles instead of separate 'parent apps/child apps/drivers/libraries'. I just about have my 'Bundle Manager' ready to launch.

I look forward to where @csteele will take HPM in the future and wish @dman2306 all the best. We are all grateful for the many things he brought to this community. Hopefully he'll come back at some point! :grin:

16 Likes

Like this?

17 Likes

dumb question.. i searched cannot find anything on "modify a repository"

If i want to add a new package to my existing repository file?

Do i just modify it on my github or do i need to do something with a pull request..

thanks in advance.

Just modify it on GitHub

2 Likes

It's only when the Master Manifest is altered that a pull request is needed. The Master Manifest points to YOUR manifest(s) -- typically an Intermediate and then to Package Manifests. Both of those should be under your direct control. Alter at will. But expect it to take an hour for the automated tasks to detect your edit.

4 Likes

Hoping somebody can assist. I just updated HPM and get the below error. It happend on 2 of my hubs that I updated. Any ideas?

run repair on HPM

1 Like