[BETA] Hubitat Package Manager

I haven't found anything valuable from a [Release] viewpoint for Libraries. I'd use it locally for development, but during the packaging phase, I'd duplicate the libraries within the App or Driver.

Bundles, yea, I have found those useful. And there's Library support from within a Bundle, so perhaps that's the way to manage both. HPM supports Bundles and ignores Libraries.... let Bundles handle Libraries.

2 Likes

Can’t make bundles work even if I wanted to. No way to upload zip files from groovy. But for several reasons, I don’t have plans to add bundle support.

3 Likes

Anyone have any good sample app/drivers using libraries? It'd be helpful if I had some real world stuff I could test with.

2 Likes

I was assuming you'd simply submit the URL to the hub and let the hub do the heavy lifting:

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 12.40.15 PM

Isn't it just a submit with a couple values?

Maybe. Not sure. As I mentioned though I have no plans to support bundles as it does not make sense for HPM. They’re two different things that serve different purposes.

Hello, I do not know if this is a "good" sample, which would be subjective, but this is my sample (I do not use Libraries at this time because HPM does not yet support it):

I own an app that I recently updated to rely on another file.

However, since HPM does not support libraries (yet), I just amalgamated my app code with the other file I needed: https://github.com/akhandok/adhanPlayer/blob/4.0/app.groovy#L300

If libraries were possible, I would break these up into the app.groovy for the Hubitat app code and the library that I need for computations/helpers.

Suggestion for UI:

Every time I go to update a managed package, this confuses me.

The "Update" button makes me think I'm commanding HPM to perform the update of the checked items above.

I think a better label for the button would be "Refresh" or "Check for Updates".

The "Next" button by Hubitat should really be called "Update".

That’s part of Hubitat, not part of HPM so I can’t really do anything about it unfortunately.

You will not see this unless you have screen reader support turned on under Settings. If you are using the point-and-click GUI, you should turn this feature off.

1 Like

I'm using the Hubitat Android app to access the hub remotely. The screen reader setting is turned off. The button is there.

I get that, what I meant to say was "Hubitat should really allow app developers to customize the overall workflow buttons to reflect the action being performed". "NEXT" and "DONE" are often not reflective of the actions being implied.

1 Like

Odd, I wonder if you've discovered a bug. The screenshot suggests the setting is effectively being applied, even if it's not on. Maybe try turning it on and back off, or accessing thr web page directly without the app? Not a big deal if you don't care, I guess...

I turned it on and then off again. Going back into HPM/update gave me a drop down list instead of the checkboxes and "update" button. That fixed it!

I still say the "update" button should be relabeled though. I get that from that local list of checkbox items the button is a "update this list" but when the overall task is to update drivers or apps, it's confusing. It's the little things...

You’re the third person I’ve seen reporting issues where the hub ii settings don’t seem to have saved. I’m wondering if there is a bug in the new muatCommitUi setting that was recently added in 2.3.0.

3 Likes

Question, I have a few apps I installed via HPM without hub security. I'm contemplating adding hub security now. Will that have an impact on those apps already installed? or just going forward?

Nope. It just needs to be set correctly otherwise you can’t install or update stuff. You can change it any time as long as the HPM setting matches the hub’s setting

4 Likes

Question:
I tried to do a completly new install on a new machine.
I coped and pasted the app into apps, and tied to install and got errors:

Something is blocking dns for github. Do you use pihole or anything like that? If you paste the url it shows into a browser does it load?

Is there a way to see how many hubs are using or have installed a particular package in HPM? Would be good to know how popular a package is as well as feedback for the package developers as to how many people they have helped.

1 Like

This has come up before, and the answer is no, there is no tracking.

And I think many users here would be opposed to having their hubs "phone home" to say what apps were in use.

6 Likes