[BETA] Echo Speaks V4

Ah nice, I missed that bit! :man_facepalming:

However, hosting via DockerHub would still be ideal IMHO.

1 Like

I see Heroku is going to start charging. What is going to happen to Echo Speaks?

Dear Customer,

Thank you for being a Heroku user. Starting November 28, 2022, free Heroku Dynos, free Heroku Postgres, and free Heroku Data for Redis® will no longer be available. You can learn more about these and other important changes from our GM, Bob Wise, on the Heroku blog.

Existing free dynos and Heroku data add-ons will be impacted, so action by you is required. To prevent any disruption to your apps or data using free plans, you will need to upgrade from a free plan to a paid plan before November 28, 2022.

For instructions on how to upgrade and for other questions, please visit our FAQ.

Thank you,

The Heroku Team

2 Likes

I posted this in the Release thread, too.

Hi all,
Here's a thread of the rabbit hole I went down to get the local server running on an RPi. It's not a 'for dummies' set of instructions but it does list the steps and anything I came across to get it running. Been working fine (knock on wood) for months now. Hopefully this can help.

Thank you. We'll give you the time/space to work this out. We have a few months here before they pull the rug out from under us. I'm surprised they allows us a free platform this long TBH. I have a Pi already running HomeBridge and PiHole. My Pi4 runs 5 servers and still has plenty of headroom. Usually less than 5% CPU and plenty of memory left. I might look to move from an SD card to a USB3 based SSD though...

Thanks. would love to run locally on windows 10. Just got echo speaks running on Heroku and now they will end free part.

1 Like

Just figured I would mention. For anyone using node-red there is a great set of nodes that covers most of what echo speaks can do.

Not an option for everyone but some could use it I think.

1 Like

Just a heads up I got about 3 years on a SD card before it wore out and I was running two instances of PiHole (one per VLAN), Grafana, Influx DB, and WeeWx/MQTT. I took all the precautions of reducing the writes to the card by using tools such as Log2RAM: Using Log2RAM on the Raspberry Pi - Pi My Life Up Also any dynamic web sites that were being generated I created a ramdisk to host them.

Even though I switched to booting/running off of USB drives I still use the Log2Ram and other techniques to cut down on write times. I only have one PI left running with a SD card and it's a old 3 model that is my Stratum 1 time server that just keeps running.

As for a NodeJS instance for Echo Speaks I tried 3 or 4 times without success and stayed with Heroku and will wait for the newer solution.

1 Like

I had to reboot my machine this morning, I had not set docker to restart automatically. I was surprised to find Echo Speaks still working.

Very basic knowledge.
You don't need to know the language, just how to install and run a node app.

I am running node red. Do you have this deployed currently?

Yes sir. Works a treat.

These are the nodes I'm using. Covers a very similar feature set as echo speaks. I've not connected it to hubitat, however that should not be too difficult with hubitat nodes I think.

1 Like

Is anyone else having issues with parallelSpeak not working in parallel? It was working fine up until 2 or 3 months ago. Around that time I finally applied the latest hub update, and whatever app updates were outstanding (Echo Speaks at 4.2.0.7).

I generally use RM 4.1 to trigger parallelSpeak. I’ve tried both specifying multiple devices in one command, and splitting them out into separate commands. Same result. Each rule has a device.noOp() following the command(s). Now I have a delay of a few seconds, and then a round robin of devices speaking instead of them mostly being in sync.

Any ideas where I should start looking, on the assumption it might be a problem with my setup?

1 Like

You may want to look at more logging to see if the commands are being sent near the same time, or if there is some form of command delay being inserted.

So logs would be good.

1 Like

Do you have the windows 10 solution details? I already run windows 10 24/7 so should be easy(I hope)

2 Likes

Not windows specific, but docker. i run a mac but it should be pretty much the same.GitHub - dmanifold/echo-speaks-server-docker
The above created the image I am running.

1 Like

Thanks.. never knowingly used a docker before.. i read up some for windows.. seems complicated.. i have some time off soon.. might give it a try..

@tonesto7 The end of November is coming quickly. Is there an “official” or recommended method of getting off of Heroku and setting up Echo Speaks with something else?

2 Likes

This is a thread for the last beta release of echo speaks, there is a separate release thread, and Anthony did mention his plan there. But your best bet is to let the dev do his work.

If you want to deploy a local server to replace Heroku (which is still functional at the free tier) in the meantime, you may find this thread useful:

1 Like

Should this thread be closed?

2 Likes

I would argue yes, but I think staff typically defer to requests from the dev/OP in threads like this one.

1 Like