[BETA] Echo Speaks V4

It should be under

Execution Config
-> Action Triggered Tasks:

Which Action Type should I choose? I have been choosing Execute Sequence. I would anticipate an Action Type of Execute Piston but that is not an option.

You don't see below that the "Action Triggered Tasks" ?

ie there are commands you do the Amazon (that is the primary action), and then there is "Action Triggered Tasks" which can do HE functions.

Clearly I am missing something here. Please bear with me and let me explain a little more...
I have a Kodi (RPi) with all of my music files locally and it's connected to my whole-home AV system. I have a dedicated Amazon Echo (White Echo) as an audio input to my AV system as well.
I have a piston that, when executed, determines if Kodi is playing a local mp3 or if I am listening to an Amazon playlist (or the radio). Based on that determination, the piston makes an API call to my Kodi to skip to the next song or it instructs the White Echo to skip to the next song. Currently I have an Amazon routine the turns on a switch to trigger the above piston ("Alexa, next song"). But if ES can initiate that piston with "Alexa, next song", and do it locally without a switch, then that is what I am trying to accomplish.

The ES Action algorithm is asking for a trigger...so I am confused.

So my looking at the actions app:

its core goal is the drive some Alexa action

this is step 1 of ES:

Step 2 describes what will trigger the above action:

And you show show that in your above note. So a webcore piston having been executed could trigger this ES Action to operate if you want to

Step 3 are conditions / restrictions that may not allow the trigger to actually fire

Step 4 is customizing the action selected in step 1 (ie what is done with Alexa (which devices to use), and this step allows you to set "HE things to also happen", which include switches, pistons, etc....

So to your ask, you want if something is spoken, to execute a piston based on the spoken command.

• ES can help you with this, in that the Echo devices have events for spoken phrases
  • it is not clear to me you need to use an ES Action, as you really want to just run a piston
  • it seems to me you can have ES installed, then write a piston that listens for the device in question to get a phrase, and then if the piston matches the phrase, it can do things (or launch another piston).

Example:

• I just spoke to an an Echo "Alexa What is fubar oops".
    • she told me she does not know what it is, but she did report I asked this....
  • the device handler for that device sent an event

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 6.18.21 PM

• so webcore piston can subscribe to the device:lastVoiceActivity and react to it....

@tonesto7 may have other thoughts, but that is what first comes to mind for me.

I hear you want ES Actions to be able to run things based on a spoken phrase, but I'm not sure ES does that (alone) today. Tony may have ideas for a new Alexa skill to help with this, but he would have to comment on his thoughts

1 Like

I do that for other ES commands and it just did not dawn on me to use it here. Perfect! Thanks.

I like the looks of the new app! :+1: Great work!

Iā€™m trying to set up the app but relise that amazon.se is not an option when choosing server. This is the amazon server I use since amazon released their swedish website late last year.
Is it possible to include this option in a future update?

You might be able to use the WC command "contains". I'll play around with it and see what happens.

[EDIT]

The good news is, it works, and eliminates using a switch. The bad news is, if Alexa doesn't understand your command, she'll complain about it while doing the command. It's also slower than using a virtual switch.

I have a case statement that defaults to Alexa asking me to repeat the command if it's not understood.

Well, that could work but......between that and using a virtual switch, the speed and lack of confusing Alexa responses makes the switch method far superior.

Is there a way to suspend/pause Echo Speaks so it is not interacting with Amazon's echo services? I am trying to debug a throttling issue showing up in the built-in Echo skill app and I just want to suspend other interactions with the amazon cloud to try to troubleshoot. I have no evidence to suggest that it is echo speaks causing the issues, but while I await an answer from HE I'm trying to eliminate possibilities. I'd like to avoid having to uninstall it all but I would like to stop it for a bit and see of the echo skill app recovers.

For those who are curious, here's what the echo skill app is filling the logs with... again the app in question is not Echo Speaks... it's the built in echo skill app.

4 Likes

Wow. Thanks! Never knew about that trick. And the errors did not stop... so now I know echo speaks is likely not a player in this problem.

1 Like

Question: Does anyone know why messages were blocked:

(At that time, it's in Home mode)

Check the device to see if it is set to Do Not Disturb in the Alexa app.

1 Like

I just wanted to say "Thanks" - that was the issue...

2 Likes

Anyone having problems with accurate wasLastSpokenToDevice ?

Any idea what might be causing this error?

It's an ES Zone which contains 3 active Echo devices

I would do an HPM repair and see if that resolves it.

ok Found the bug and sending fix to Tony

1 Like

The new version was rolled out a few hours ago. Look for v4.1.9.2

3 Likes