[BETA] Echo Speaks V4

Personally I’d say split off the Heruko part of the discussion and join it with the other thread and let this one revert back to the deveoper’s original intent.

2 Likes

I'd like to try the Docker implementation on my Raspberry Pi4. I already run pi-hole on but not in a container. Can I simply install Docker along side my current pi-hole implementation or are there are complications I should know about.

You can try the docker implementation on the Raspberry Pi if you like. It's more complicated. Then Follow my instructions here:

1 Like

Do you have a set of full instructions to run echo speaks on windows 10?

It's possible, but desirable to run the docker version in Windows Docker. You will find that when you locally host server instances, that you will want them to be up 24/7, not require many memory/disk/cpu resources and also operate with very low power. Windows is the opposite of all those things. It's very much advised to run a small Linux node to host these types of applications. Elsewhere in this thread, I link a video on my YouTube channel regarding such a server. Many folks here opt to run a Raspberry Pi 4 instead. If you really want to use windows, then consider running a Hyper-V or a VirtualBox virtual machine running Ubuntu Server on your Windows machine. That will create an environment where these apps can run. I wouldn't advise this though because these types of apps need to be up 24x7 and most people don't leave their windows machine up all of the time.

Thanks for your help. I have 2 mini window computers that run 24/7. One has 8meg ram which I use for my media server. The other has 4meg ram, again running 24/7. Can I use the small 4meg unit? Will that be sufficient for running Hyper-V or VirtualBox on?

1 Like

I wouldn't run Hyper-V or Virtual box on a machine with only 4Mb of RAM. You will suffer for performance in the native Windows OS and in the virtual environment.

I also wouldn't run it in the 8MB machine either, especially if used as a media server, but if you have no choice it is the better option.

Thanks, I may have to look for a Linux mini computer and start from there. Although I'm not versed in Linux.

Might be cheaper to just upgrade the RAM in one of your existing PCs.

Wait, did I read I could use Google Home smart speaker? I have one sitting around doing nothing.

Yes. Install the Chromecast Integration (beta) built in app.

Sorry for all the questions. I can store mp3 on the hub. How would I create a rule once triggered to play this file.
Trigger...When energy < 3
Action....play mp3

@junk7001 Art, so that's where a little knowledge might help. Realize that the world's desktops run on Windows by and large. Almost every website you go to and every smart device you buy runs Linux. The Hubitat Elevation has embedded Linux. Linux is a very efficient OS. Docker and LXD are containerization technologies that are much more resource efficient than virtual machines. I have a YouTube channel devoted to hosting applications at home and home networking. Perhaps check out this video I made awhile back. Cheap Self Hosting Server - YouTube

Yes, you can store a .mp3 file on the hub. From “Settings”, go to “File Manager”.

You could create a rule in rule machine that would do exactly what you are looking for. You have the right trigger and action.

I mistook this thread as the main one and have been following the wrong thread. I definitely am letting the dev do their thing. The announcement was for turning off the free access on Nov 28, which is only 2 weeks away.

Thanks. Will look for the other thread.

Could you get me a rule example? I have a file saved on FM

Unfortunately he is wrong, yes you can do this … with a Google speaker, but not with an Amazon Echo.

Thanks