Best zwave wind/rain sensor?

anyone know any really good reliable wind/rain sensor?

for wind i know it has be something like this.

Want something that provides speed data so i can create rules to open blinds only when wind hits a certain threshold.

1 Like

It might be worth looking at a weather station that has integration with Hubitat. Additional info such as external temperatures and luminance might be helpful.

4 Likes

Really think you may want to look at a weather station instead of simple zwave sensor. Ecowitt has some really good stuff and has good integration as i understand it.

4 Likes

Direct pairing would be nice.

Go with a weather station. Ambient and Ecowitt have local (direct) integrations (and sell the same hardware).

2 Likes

any good weather stations that easily connect to hubitat via zwave?

Cost is not a problem.

I doubt there is anything specifically Z Wave. The systems mentioned (Ambient & Ecowitt) connect to your existing WiFi. Then the integration/app that is installed within Hubitat will receive the information from the weather station over your network and allow you to use that information in your rules.

2 Likes

ah i see makes sense! what's a good one that has good rain sensor and wind speed data?

prefer long battery life one. Cost is not a problem.

I owned a very expensive Davis station for years, and it worked well. Then I got a much less expensive Ecowitt and like it even more, at a fraction of the price. The driver from @sburke781 allows for local integration with Hubitat. Have the station report to Weather Underground, and combine the Ecowitt driver with the Weather Underground driver from @dJOS and you have a system that's hard to beat.

3 Likes

I had part of my Netatmo Weather station die recently, so I replaced it with an Ecowitt GW1100 Weather Station - Itā€™s a great system and @sburke781 makes a great Hubitat driver for it as @Madcodger mentioned,

1 Like

A weather station is a whole topic by itself.

I also have an Ecowitt, for a few months now.
The integration, which is local, worked well.
I didn't use the information for rules, so I uninstalled it.
The integrated stations might be a "jack of all trades" kind of thing.
There are ideal places for the wind, rain, solar sensors.
Maybe not all in the same place.
Mine is on an 8' pole, and there are a lot of trees.
Wind is affected by the trees, so when the wind comes from the southeast, it's not as sensitive as when it comes from the northwest.
I bought an expensive conventional rain gage, that you empty, and I find that the Ecowitt gage agrees very well.
I don't use solar.
They have a new model, called Wittboy, that is solid state for wind, and I think rain.
While new and high tech, it might not work as well as the older style.
Plus it needs usb for a heating power if weather goes below freezing to maintain accurate wind readings.
The older style needs more maintenance though: you have to clean out bugs from the rain gauge, etc.
So, think about maintenance.
The Ecowitt website is very nice: graphs etc.
Plus, I got their inexpensive web cam, which they host for free, for a little more fun.
If you make it available on their site, anyone with an Ecowitt can see what you've made available.
You can also get a link that you can share with people for a certain period of time.

It's become a little hobby now, lol.

This is the one I got.
I also got a couple of the smaller lcd consoles...I like them.

1 Like

I'll add I am simply maintaining the solid system I inherited from the original developer Micro.... So I am definitely standing on the shoulders of giants... To use a sporting my metaphor...

2 Likes

Iā€™m in the same boat with the Weather Underground driver. Cobra wrote the original driver and I, with the help of folk like @swade and others, have continued to improve it.

1 Like

I'm still very happy with my Weatheflow Tempest. I use it to trigger several rules.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.