Best Zigbee Smart Plugs

Check out this thread. @srwhite was kind enough to shed some light on this. I just hope I'm not distracting him from HubConnect 1.7. I ran a new ethernet cable from my network closet to the upstairs bedroom where the computer I run homebridge on is (and is now wired). Ready to put HC on it.

2 Likes

I don't think the first necessarily excludes the second.

3 Likes

More than the troll, it's disappointing to see everyone else here engaging with it.
How about we move back to the "best Zigbee" plug topic.

I have three smart plugs:

1. Two Zigbee Peanuts - Which I purchases because they were both cheap and recommended here. So far that have not any problems with them. They do what I want and I'm not (yet) seeing any slow-downs. Sadly they are on old firmware so I'm not getting any power stats.
  2. Aeotec Z-wave plug - Love this one. Both how it looks and the power stats I get from it.

Since I am now looking to replace my 4 Peanut plugs, I would appreciate recommendations as well. My particular requirements are:

1. Similarly priced. ($20 or less)
  2. Zigbee
  3. Power reporting capability
  4. Prefer to have a local on/off switch on them but not required

Anyone know if the Tradfri plugs have power reporting? The price would make them perfect and I have an Ikea not terribly far away.

I know they are pricier, but I think that 2-3 of the Samsung plugs could easily do the repeating duty of 4 Peanuts, unless you need power reporting for 4 outlets. There are also the Centralite that are available on Amazon for $24. These have been rock solid and I have seen them repeating for as many as 8 devices at once. I have never had them not respond to a command, or need to be rejoined. The Sylvania plugs are very stable (and $51 for 4 on Amazon currently), but no power reporting.

2 Likes

Nope. Of the plugs linked to by @Ken_Fraleigh, I've use both the Samsungs and the Centralite (the Iris version). They've been flawless.

3 Likes

The centralite mini are awesome... But no power reporting on those either. But I love that they don't block the other outlet, regardless which outlet you put them in (top or bottom).

1 Like

This have been a very interesting discussion thanks all!!

So am I supposed to be bummed out about my peanut plug investment or not? I do have some Iris plugs on order from eBay as well.

Not to stir up the pot any but I have not experienced any "appearance" of Zigbee issues (meaning I have NOT really been paying attention to the details like on the report) on my main floor hub where most of the peanuts reside.

I would prefer to have a cost effective solution be it Peanut or Iris (or other) that I can use with some confidence going forward.

1 Like

I'm currently using 9 of the Iris/Centralite plugs and have had no issues with either the Zigbee or Z-Wave sides of the units. The biggest challenge was figuring out the proper way to join both to the hub. This process has been documented multiple times here now, making the effort that much easier. YMMV

1 Like

I have gone over what I have and I think I can remove all 4 of the Peanuts and only have to buy one or two plugs by moving some things around. I did look at the Centralite plugs and I think I may get one or two of them. They have a good reputation in the community and what you say makes them sound even better.

2 Likes

I have two of these Innr SP224 I picked up on sale. They have been working well with HE. Question, how do I know if they are ZLL or ZHA? Would that be one of the codes in the data reported in the driver page?

The show up as routing for other devices, so appear to work as repeaters, and I have not had any stability issues; but I have a relatively simple HA environment.

I was more referring to the Samsung, but I read somewhere that the Centralite would repeat for 7 devices. You can’t go wrong with either one, and the Centralite are $8 less.

1 Like

Neither, Zigbee 3.0
https://zigbeealliance.org/zigbee_products/innr-smart-plugs/

Thank you.

I also have one of the Peanut plugs, and a bunch the Iris that I have since discovered. My new installs are the Iris, mostly because of the price. I will say, the Innr are significantly smaller (1.9 x 1.9 x 2 inches) than the Peanuts, and a bit smaller than the Iris; though also lower power (10A).

I bought two of them in the past and they messed up my mesh...

here is a link to a site that says its zll, but it's in german.

Looking at the packaging photo at that link, they are model SP-120. I don't know if the SP-220 are a newer version, or European vs. North America.

yeah, maybe the n-americans are once again the lucky ones.

Are you actually hitting issues or more preventive?
I have two of these on a mixed Zigbee/Z-wave network where my Zigbee sensors are mostly Sengled Lightbulbs, Samsung water detectors and Samsung Motion detectors and I haven't noticed any issues yet (I know that doesn't mean there aren't issues).

Just curious how worried I should be.

To date I have not had any issues with the the on/off side of the Peanut plugs and I currently do not have any apparent issues with my Zigbee network. I am replacing them for two reasons. First because I need the power reporting to work correctly on a couple of them and this has proven to be unreliable on the Peanut plugs at least by myself and @aaiyar. Secondly as a preventative measure against any future possible issues due to the other issue mentioned earlier about them hopping around.

1 Like

Correct. I have unreliable power reporting for 8 of these. 6 on HE, 2 on Almond. All have been upgraded to the latest firmware.

1 Like