Best TTS Speaker/most compatible?

What is the best/most compatible TTS speaker to use with the Hub ?

Sonos

Sonos play 1 or or one voice ? What model are you using ?

I'm not using Sonos but all of them are supported.

I've been researching these and plan to get the 1 not the One(Alexa enabled). The problem with the Alexa version is it is not a full echo and does not support Drop in, messages etc.

There is a Sonos driver available ?

Sonos support is built in to Hubitat.

All versions of Sonos will work out of the box, with no custom driver. I am using sonos Play, Sonos Amp, Play 3, Play 5, and Sonos sound bar, and they all work equally well.

Is it still not possible to use a google home/Alexa for TTS?

Not sure about Google, It is possible to use Alexa. However a cookie expires and has to be redone every 14 days.

Google Home's require you to run a NodeJs server as a "man-in-the-middle" for TTS either through broadcasts or through casts to the device.

• 1 for Sonos
    More expensive than the rest but perfect integration now.

Andy

Can Google assistant and or Alexa be used for TTS ? Instaed of buying a 149$ Sonos speaker?

anyone using [Beta Release] Amazon Alexa Text to Speech (TTS) v0.4.5 - Direct Integration (USA, Canada, & UK)

?

I have it installed and I have used it. I can't say I use it often. When I installed it and ran testing, it worked and I had a lot of fun with my kids... having Alexa tell them to do something. :slight_smile:

I've only updated to the v0.3.0 2018-10-22 version.

Great. Thanks for replying! I wanted to start some testing..

It works, but read through the thread for limitations. You will need to acquire a cookie every 2 weeks or so. Not a huge deal but it's something you should be aware of.

Oh yea, that's why I stopped using it. The Cookie refresh.

Just did this and freaked my daughter out. "Hey, How did Alexa know my name and that I was in the kitchen?, She just told me to feed the dog!" Great stuff.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Can you have Alexa repeat "blah blah" for X amount of time ?