Best practices for interior motion detection

As a new hubitat elevation C-8 owner I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get pointed to the right resources. This is question 2 of 3:

I want to set up interior motion detectors that will trigger an external alarm. I plan on avoiding nuisance alarms by getting confirmation from 2 separately mounted motion sensors before the external alarm is triggered. I have an approach figured out, but any postings that have demonstrated how to do this will be greatly appreciated, as would any advice on other approaches that might work better.

1 Like

Can't claim to have a solution (yet), but by

are you expecting them to both be triggered at about the same time? Or could they be triggered somewhat close together, but not necessarily at the same time? E.g. within a minute of each other verses 5-10 minutes apart.

I was going to test what works best. Basically want to avoid false alarms resulting from a spider or mouse walking across a sensor by using a second sensor to confirm that yeah, something big is moving around. Even considering rule that if one sensor is triggered, the internal alarm sounds, but if a both sensors are triggered it would sound off an external alarm. Note that this is at an unoccupied remote site with neighbours, so having an internal alarm sound isn't a nuisance, and I want to be very certain of an intrusion before sounding an external alarm to inform my neighbours.

Zone Motion Controller might have what you need:

3 Likes

Yep, Zone Motion was where I was heading too. You may also want to look at options for timeouts, potentially through a virtual motion sensor.

1 Like

I'd also question whether your neighbours are likely to respond, or whether notifcation to you and some security cameras may be a more appropriate solution.

1 Like

Thanks so much - it looks like the information that I need.

3 Likes

@BullValley

Just a suggestion - in place of PIR motion detectors, have you considered using human presence sensors? There are several that work directly with the C-8, thanks to drivers from @kkossev.

The advantages are that a single sensor can be configured to cover a larger area than most PIR motion detectors. Secondly, the rate of false positives is much lower.

2 Likes

Not at all what you asked about but I used two of these in an unoccupied house. One was visible from the living room window and one from a bedroom window set to turn on and off at different somewhat random times. It may deter a break-in from someone driving by.

I also used motion sensors that sent a phone notification as well as cameras. I could also turn on the stereo at a high volume remotely and start some inside lights flashing wildly (LIFX) but that may be too much for everyone.

SABRE HS-FTV-7 Home Security TV Light Simulator with Night Sensor – Easy to Use Burglar Deterrent, Similates Real HDTV, Energy Efficient with Always On or Timed Operation – Ideal for Vacation Homes https://a.co/d/d9YX5gM

1 Like

Thanks - brilliant device! They are currently unavailable but that is exactly the effect I am looking for